A Spa Moment

February 2, 2007

Eco-Freaky, Journal, Lauren

I hate how my hands get in the winter. Dry and scaly.  I’ve made lotion bars, which are helpful, but they don’t solve the fact that I scratch at my fingertips and have yucky spots.  Beth gave me a hand scrub from Mary Kay which I highly recommend for everyday exfoliation, but you have to try this!

• Take about a tablespoon of sugar.
  • Mix in about a half tablespoon of cooking oil.  (I like light olive oil, but whatever you have is fine.)
  • Stir it up, rub into your hands (without water) for a minute or so.  Rinse with very warm water – awesome!

Who knew?

(By the way, I’d show my own hands, but I have self-image problems.  They’re all veiny and weird.  No sugar’s going to help that.)

8 Responses to “A Spa Moment”

ooooh …. ahhhhhhhhh!!! Very nice homemade concoction Beth!!
    I use a natural sugar scrub for my whole self that I get from Bath & Body (do you have one of those? silly question Peggy). For all you math gurus … which would be cheaper … homemade w/olive oil & sugar or bought? Bought is $10.00 on sale for 20 oz. They also sell pure Kemp for your hands … works great, but smells weird.

Does this work on fat lumps?

3. Lauren Said on:

Whoops, I should have clarified. This isn’t Beth’s awesome Mary Kay stuff -- this is just a thing I found on the internet. For Chirstmas, one of my students gave me a homemade tangerine suger scrub. I loved how it smelled, so I looked this up, ordered some tangerine oil online, and now my hands are raw because I use it so much. As far as the monetary thing, five pounds (80 oz) of sugar is about $3.00, and 16 ounces of oilive oil is about $5.00. So, $8.00 for 96 ounces? Did I do the math right?

(Brad, this will TOTALLY take off your fat lump. Daily sanding is key.)

• Annette Said on:

I don’t think so….but, I’m more accustomed to working with quarter of a million dollar budgets….hmmm, if 16oz of oil is $5, 96oz of oil is $30. The oil 31 cents p/oz and the sugar about 4 cents per oz. That’s 35 cents total, or $7 for 20oz (if comparing to the Bath and Body potion of $10 for 20oz) Did I DO the math right?

4. Lauren Said on:

I have to think this through, as well. I would need two pounds of sugar ($1.20) to add to one bottle of oil ($5.00). That’s $6.20 to make 48 ounces of product. That make 20 ounces about $3.00.

5. Annette Said on:

Sure, I forgot that it’s not equal parts!
    You are right! Want my job??????????????

6. Lauren Said on:

I would not take your job for a million gazillion bazillion dollars. You are not paid enough money for the head/heartache. Give me the runny-nosed ones anyday.