Anything for a post.    Again

Anything for a post. Again

July 18, 2007

Journal, Lauren, Worst day ever

I know it wasn’t smart. Please refrain from telling me what an idiot I was. Unless you can make it really funny.

We occasionally have stray cats or dogs around the center. In the past we have found dog owners right away, and last year we saved a kitten who wouldn’t leave the playground – we found it a good home with one of the families at Lincoln Lutheran. Well, the past two days there has been a wrong-looking kitten across the CDC’s fence. It’s all scrawny and has a horribly weepy eye. I told the kids that if it came over the fence they shouldn’t touch it because it’s sick. I, of course, had to try and go get it so I could take it to the vet. I lured it with a hot dog, but it kept running away. Finally, I got close enough to grab it – and it gave me some pretty bad bites. Stupid Lauren. The first thing that raced through my hypochondriac mind was Brad’s voice. He often gave the advice, “If anyone asks when your last tetanus shot was, say it was a couple of years ago.” I don’t think I’ve ever had a tetanus shot. I really hoped I wouldn’t get the ‘thirteen shots in the stomach’. I knew I should have some antibiotics, since I could practically see the germs all over the cat’s face.
So feel free to not comment on this. Just pray that that kitten is alright. or dies soon of natural and humane causes.

UPDATE:  I caught the cat this afternoon.  I had a box and some irresistible cat food and trapped it nicely. I’m glad it was me, since I didn’t know if I could trust the police to do it kindly  (Yes, I reported everything yesterday, and Officer Hoag came to talk to me this morning.)  I took it to the vet and explained everything and they agreed that the kindest thing would be to euthanize it and have it tested for rabies.  So, here I am at 4:50 in the afternoon crying in my beer over a stray cat’s death  It was the right thing to do, but I have the right to be sad.  No cruel comments, please.

It is getting expensive to make these posts.

Note to self: Your last tetanus booster was July 18, 2007

26 Responses to “Anything for a post. Again”

1. Aunt Lolly Said on:

Did you go to the doctor? Did you take the cat to the vet to see if it was ok?

Should I get my shovel? I’d start keeping one around the center if I were you. It could be a good opportunity to talk with the kids about the circle of life. You could call it the Kitten Shovel! I bet they’d like that.

3. Lauren's dad Said on:

Aunt Lolly is right!!!! The cat could have distemper or rabies! (Did you get the cat to the vet so he/she could check it out?)

The CDC? You mean to tell us that all that happened on the other side of the Center for Diease Control’s fence? That just seems wrong, somehow…

5. Lauren Said on:

Now simmer down, people, simmer down. It’s all fine and good and all the appropriate steps have been taken. Brad, I appreciate the shovel offer, but the only one that could weild it would be you, and then I’d have to whack you.

Is that silly grin on your face the early stages of lock-jaw?

Compliments of Anna, in honor of her 9 month birthday (today!)

Lauren, Lauren Loves Her Cats

Hisses, Tooth, And Claw Do Appear
    Lauren Needs A Shot In The Rear

Lauren, Lauren Loves Her Cats
    She’ll Pet Them Even With The Knats
    She Gives Them Hugs And Kisses Too,
    Even If They Reek Of Poo

That cat was a cute, well groomed feline … but apparently got a glimpse of yesterdays movie & well, you know the rest …

(Glad you’re alright! Did they have to kill the cat to see if it had rabies or ???)

9. Lauren's mom Said on:

Does Seward have animal control?

Funny, Harold’s last tetanus booster was July 17…after an unfortunate accident with a large machine at work that resulted in 6 stitches in his upper lip and a broken canine tooth…
    Note to Harold: Your last tetanus booster was the day before Lauren’s last tetanus booster.

11. Julie Baker Said on:

we would like to see a picture of the cat.
    Fellow Cat LOVER

Sorry, Julie. I posted the update before I read your comment. I don’t have pictures of the kitty, but thanks for loving cats, too. I still think that Tripod is the best name ever for a three-legged cat!

12. Christina Said on:

ok, this really has nothing to do with the silly cat issue (although I also like cats) but I just noticed that the little icon between your posts is a branch with leaves today but it was a flower yesterday and I could swear it was a scrolly thingy the day before. Have I gone nuts or are you just messing with me for giggles?

Yes and yes. The inbetween thing is a semi-autonomus state changing eigenvector that senses the mood of the most recent post and changes value accordingly. Theoretically, it should have the same appearance each day, but lately it has been changing values based on comments as well. That’s sort of creepy.

• christina Said on:

I read your reply and all I can think about is whether “eigenvector” is an actual word or if you are just making stuff up to fool those of us who are not computer geeks!! (My other thought was “is eigenvector really spelled that way?)

If you would have called, I would have cried in a beer with you. Seems I cry about everything these days, and I could really use a beer.

Oh, Arron, Anna and I will cry in beers too with you and Beth! 🙁 We’re so sorry.

You doing okay this morning, Lauren?

16. Lauren's dad Said on:

Your heart has the right to be sad about the kitty!

17. Annette Said on:

Well now I know. Last night Lauren had Lloyd call me to confirm the cat had made it to the Vet. I was quite sure Lauren had Lloyd call to cover up the truth that she had actually taken the kitty home! And, since I’m not a cat lover, the least cruel thing to say is, was it a single beer cry, or a two-beer cry?

18. Aunt Lolly Said on:

I’m glad that you are ok Lauren. I’m sorry about the kitten, but we have to know that you will be ok. That was a real cute poem.