Should you ever visit…

January 2, 2008

Journal, Lauren

I thought you city mice might get a kick out of pictures of our little airport in Lincoln. It flies a whole four airlines!! United, KLM, Northwest, and something else. (You can’t expect me to remember such a huge list, can you?) We were laughing about how no airline is going to worry about getting you to Lincoln if your flight happens to get canceled. “There ain’t no more flights goin’ to Nebraska. If’n you get there after 8, ain’t noone gonna be there anyway. Airport’s closed.”
Here’s a view of the lower level.

Beth estimates it's about as big as a football field.

Here’s what’s right behind me as I took the picture.

Close.

And did you happen to catch the arrival/departure screens in the far right of the first picture? Both of them? Which of the seven flights is yours?
Where're you goin'?

If you happen to forget to put your liquids in a zip-lock bag, we are happy to provide one for you. (They’re arranged attractively on the table to the left.)  Watch out for the long lines, though. Sometimes we have upwards of a dozen people. It’s killer.

Go, Brad!      Wait - don't go!

So, y’all come visit – if you’re not too concerned about when you get here.

10 Responses to “Should you ever visit…”

Hey, it’s more complicated than you’re letting on. When you get to the top of the escalator, you have to know whether to go to the left or to the right. Turning the wrong way could make you walk several yards out of your way.

2. Deborah Said on:

I love the Lincoln airport! No stress, no mess.

Boy, it sure beats Narita in Japan! The line there was so long coming in and leaving that I thought we’d just stand in line all day. I seriously wondered if (at our departure) we had spent too much time on MY breakfast. (I insisted on one last Japanese meal--soba--WELL worth it.)

Maybe all airports should be the size of Lincoln, and then nobody would ever wait in long lines. (With the obvious downside being that only seven flights per day would ever get anywhere.)

4. Lauren's dad Said on:

To my knowledge, Mark was on the only plane to have collided with a coyote while taking off, nearly at the point of no return. He can fill you in. How about a new name: Coyote International Airport?

I too like the small airport. It seems so much easier & less threatening. (Unlike the one in Florida where you have to take a mini-monorail to get around.)

Maybe once the Mulberrys circulate the world thru Youtube, Nebraska will be building a new airport.

6. Mark Said on:

My question is: How much do you have to pay to park? If I park for more thirty minutes, I pay four bucks. Park overnight, $8 bucks. Park for two nights, $32. Have wife or in-laws quickly drop you off (but not leave the vehicle) at the departure entrance door -- PRICELESS.

7. Mark Said on:

I just saw dad’s comment about the coyote.

Imagine you’re in a Boeing 737. You head down the runway. You hear the tires ka-thunk each time they hit a seam in the concrete: ka-thunk…….ka-thunk…..ka-thunk…ka-thunk..ka-thunk..ka-thunk,ka-thunk,ka-thunk,ka-thunk,ka-BANG,ka-thunk,ka-thunk,ka-thunk……ka-thunk…..ka-thunk……..screeeeeechhhhhhhhhhhh.

(Now sit at the very end of the runway and don’t move for thirty minutes because the brakes are so hot they’ve welded themselves to the roters, locked tight and you have to wait for a certified mechanic to come from Omaha to clear the aircraft to move again.)

Yeah,…Runway 32 was the only fur-paved runway in the US that year.

8. Mark Said on:

You don’t want me telling “it almost happened to me” airplane stories. I have a ton of ’em.