Crazy?

March 13, 2008

Journal, Lloyd

The problem with Letters to the Editor in Seward is that a certain percentage of the people who write them are clearly crazy. So, if you write a letter to the editor, you risk proving one way or the other if you are. A few weeks ago I came home to find my beloved Ron Paul sign thrown into the neighbor’s yard. It was a little bit of a bother to get it back into the ground (everything was frozen solid) but with a hammer and an ice-pick I managed well enough. Again the next day. Again the next. I was a little bit ticked off, but also quite glad. This gave me the perfect opportunity to see if I was crazy.

yeah, click here for the text

It was like it was meant to be. I wrote it up and checked the number of words. 500, exactly the maximum number for letters to the editor.

About Lloyd

Lloyd Sommerer is a middle/high school teacher who likes to build websites, read books, grow beards, make fun of Lauren’s prototypes and eat the sauce of the picante.

12 Responses to “Crazy?”

This gave you the opportunity to see if you were crazy? I think that question was settled a long time ago.

(Hee hee)

It’s a pretty good article. He hits the right tone between crazy and sarcastic, I think.

Excellent epistle!

A hammer and an ice-pick? You mean business. I dare your unknown visitor to come to your door now.

Great article! Could you write my eulogy?

(BTW: I heard there has been a Hillary siting in your area.)

But, I want to read the whole thing!

5. Christina Said on:

so did they e-mail?

No, but the sign hasn’t been messed with since. At least it was a literate vandal.

I didn’t post the letter right away, because giving out the email address also gives out the website address. And as Lauren said, no one asked for a sign, so I still have some if you want them. Really, who can blame them for not emailing? I might be crazy.

• Christina Said on:

I will have to see if the great big Ron Paul sign is still up on my way to work. I got used to seeing it, so I haven’t looked lately. there were two signs 10′ x 5′ on the side of the road I take.

Wow! Great letter! How long did it take you to write it? If it were me, I’d have to let it ferment to get the tone just right.

I’d been thinking about it from the moment he/she uprooted the sign, but the actual writing was all one shot. I think it was about an hour to write and another hour to cleanup. Once again, obligatory Larry Laubenstein quote, “Don’t get it right, get it written. Then get it right.”