Old Heat

March 16, 2008

Journal, Lauren

Well, we survived not having a furnace for two days. It’s really not a hardship since the temperatures are in the 40’s or so, and yesterday was so sunny. Today was cloudy, though, so we didn’t get the solar gain. (I love this! It’s like all my pioneer dreams are coming true! The heat’s out and we have to make do! The only thing better would be to lose electricity. Then it would be just like Laura Ingalls.) I haven’t broken out all the candle heaters yet, but there’s always tomorrow.

Lloyd had choir in Lincoln this afternoon, so I seriously looked into getting one of those electric fireplaces that is also a space heater. They are still around a hundred bucks, however, and I knew I would regret it after the initial rapture of beholding it. Instead, I knew we could borrow a space heater from the Center. It’s an oldie but a goody. ‘Oldie’ meaning that this is the kind that – left unattended – sets garages on fire and such because it cranks out such serious heat. We will not be using it overnight, thank you very much. We’ll use our little safe ‘equipped-with-tip-over-switch’ guy for upstairs.
Its energy comes from the sun.

, ,

About Lauren

Lauren Sommerer is a preschool teacher who likes to build prototypes, grow cats, cook things once, save money, reduce, reuse and recycle.

View all posts by Lauren

33 Responses to “Old Heat”

  1. Christina Said on:

    That reminds me of Grandma’s house. She would only light the furnace in her front room where she slept in the winter, so she had a little space heater in the bathroom. I hope your furnace works soon. If not, come visit us for spring break -- it was 92 degrees yesterday!

    Reply

  2. Brad Said on:

    That heater looks scary! …and AWESOME! I bet it uses something like 8000 watts. Cool. You should melt plastic cowboys and indians with it.

    Reply

    • Beth Said on:

      Which, of course, is an activity that has been tested first hand…
      Ask about the gasoline in styrofoam cups in the garage, and the fire chief.

      Reply

      • Peggy Said on:

        Were there any animals involved in these activities?

        Reply

        • Beth Said on:

          No…most the animals were killed with BB guns, and a few with magnifying glasses and the sun…
          It’s a disease both my brothers have…it was passed down from our Dad and his Dad before him…
          *sigh*

          (On a side note, I DID NOT marry a hunter.)

          Reply

  3. Peggy Said on:

    You know what I always say, heat is overrated!

    I would try cooking on that heater … maybe a nice big Nebraskan steak with a potato & corn.

    Reply

  4. Curt Said on:

    Back in grade school I had a friend that pushes (unintentionally, we think, haha) his little brother into one of these old heaters. His arm looked like it had been on a grill. It was pretty cool lookin.

    Oh, by the way Lauren, do you have to get a new furnace?

    Reply

    • Karla Said on:

      Who was that?!?! The only person I can remember from your group in grade school is Derek Oetting and unless the “little brother” was a milk cow or a farm cat, I doubt you’re talking about him. 😉

      Reply

    • Beth Said on:

      I’m thinking Mark Steitz. But, I, too, am curious…

      Reply

    • Beth Said on:

      I’m thinking Mark Steitz…but I’m curious, too…

      Reply

    • Beth Said on:

      Sorry for the ditto…LloydandLauren.com is running painfully slow today…and doing a few weird things…

      Reply

      • Karla Said on:

        Oh!! I forgot about Mark! I could see him doing something devious like that… Com’on Curt, don’t leave us in suspense!

        Reply

        • Curt Said on:

          To protect all individuals involved, names will not be divulged at this time. Once the families have been contacted, the proper authorities will release their names.

          No devious acts were performed. Just two siblings fighting and one happen to fall against a bathroom heater. It sounds much worse than it was.

          I am not confirming or rejecting your guesses. If you truly know my grade school class you should come to two suspects with the clues I have given you.

          Reply

          • Karla Said on:

            Aw jeez, your grade school class was a long time ago! Now I’m going to have to email Gina to try to remember who all was in your class. It wasn’t very big, as I recall. Did you even have 10 people in it?

          • Curt Said on:

            In kindergarten we started out at 10 made our way up to 12 and then settling in at 9 for a few years.

    • Beth Said on:

      Sorry for the ditto…lloydandlauren.com is running painfully slow today…and doing some weird things…

      (Which is ok, I need to keep my numbers above LLoyd’s…Heh.)

      Reply

  5. Kristi Said on:

    Do Cricket and Pfennig like the heater, or have they been zapped by it?

    Reply

  6. Lauren's dad Said on:

    So, how much of a new furnace did you buy?

    Reply

  7. Lauren Said on:

    Ok, I am not going to tell you all what was wrong with the furnace. It’s too embarrassing. Who’s kidding who -- I’m totally going to tell.

    I came home today to a toasty warm (67 degree house), looked all over the counters for a bill (sometimes they leave it there), didn’t find it, went down to see if it was by the furnace…. and there was the most disgusting furnace filter you’ve ever seen in your life leaning against the wall. Worse than the time I found a dead bat in it. It is CLOGGED with dust! No wonder the furnace died -- we choked it to death. So, now I feel like a moron, and a hefty bill is the price I’ll pay. *sigh*

    Go check your filter. Learn from my mistakes.

    Reply

    • Deborah Said on:

      I’m not going to lie. That is embarassing. Like the time I called a plumber to fix our outdoor faucet. He looked at it, took out a screwdriver, and tightened that little screw on the handle that I never knew was there. That was it. So very embarrassed. . .
      Good news was he didn’t charge us. I’m pretty sure it was because he was embarrassed for us.

      Reply

      • Beth Said on:

        And the time I called the apliance guy to fix our Microwave…it was dead.
        He promptly hit the reset button on the outlet it was in line with…
        And I paid $55 for him to do it.

        Reply

        • Karla Said on:

          We’ve done that with our furnace. We had no idea there was a filter on there. Fortunately the landlord came over to look at it before the repair guy was called.
          But as far as overpaying for simple work -- we just paid a car repair shop $63 (after our $20 off coupon) for a new gas cap. The old one was cracked and making the check engine light turn on. *sigh

          Reply

          • Curt Said on:

            Hmmm….I think I have found a new career for myself….plumber, furnace and small appliance repairman, mechanic, etc. With clients like yall I could make a killin. (evil laugh) Hahahaha!

  8. Lauren's dad Said on:

    Take a picture of the CLOGGED filter, have the artist enhance it (with $$$$s), perhaps with a frame, and post it on or by the furnace—as a reminder?

    Reply

  9. Lauren's dad Said on:

    There are GREEN filters in Nebraska?

    Reply

Leave a Reply