Morning miss

April 30, 2008

Cooking, Lauren, Lloyd

I made two little loaves of bread a couple of nights ago (because there was gravy to dip it in) and had some left over. I thought I’d try making baked french toast, which I’ve never had before. You mix egg, milk & flavorings, pour it over bread slices, cover it and let it sit overnight in the fridge then bake it for half an hour in the morning. Our oven has a time-delay feature, so I thought I’d pop it into a hot oven before I took my shower and settle down for a hot breakfast afterwards.

Sounded good in theory, huh? In reality I came downstairs after my shower and wondered, “Why does it smell so hot in here?” Dnag it! I put it in anyway to cook while I ate my initial healthy sprinkling of good cereal followed by several sprinkles of bad-for-you stuff. (Can’t eat soggy cereal.) Maybe it was because I was already full when I tried it, but I don’t think I’m a baked french toast fan. I’ll have to try it again some other time.

I’m so forgetful.

12 Responses to “Morning miss”

Wouldn’t it take longer to bake french toast than to cook it in a pan? Why would someone want their food to take longer to cook? You know they make french toast cereal, don’t you? No muss, no fuss. French toast in thirty seconds. Plus, the milk is already mixed in. You wouldn’t have to bother with drinking it separately.

Hehe … “flavorings” …. is that the politically correct term now?

3. Christina Said on:

Does it get crispy on both sides, or just the top? I don’t think I would like it if it were soggy on one side.

My toaster has one set of heating wires broken, so we get one side toasted and one side not -- it’s not pretty.

Yeah. The recipe said ‘like bread pudding’ which should have been a warning sign.

Would you like Lloyd to fix your toaster? Apparently his electrical skills are hereditary.

4. Cousin Sam Said on:

I sawed Mark Hoffman Seward ’87 in the Broadcaster. Random comment.

5. Annette Said on:

So, I guess it ain’t burger night. It’s overnight french toast night?

6. Lauren's mom Said on:

I go to Wal-Mart, buy Mamma Bella cinnamon toast out of the freezer case, take a couple of slices out of the package and put ’em in the microwave for a minute or so, then dip them in egg and make french toast in a skillet. It’s fast, and ooo’h so good! Gets real crispy, too.

• Jaye Said on:

Do they still make the Mamma Bella cinnamon toast? I bought all there was in my area (Los Angeles) and couldn’t find it anywhere. I called the company and they said it was a test product. Have you found any at Wal-Mart lately? Also, I would take mine out of the box and bag and put it straight on the skillet without dipping in egg like regular french toast and it would taste so yummy. If you can still find it try cooking it on the skillet for a few minutes and not in the microwave

My favorite hot breakfast has to be hot cereal (rye flakes is my fave) with dried spiced apples in it. But you do have to remember to get it started before the shower.