Cut to the chase.

Cut to the chase.

June 9, 2008

Cooking, Lauren, Most Popular

Ok, the frozen cheesecake in a tiny jar was fun to make, but I’m thinking that I don’t always have the time for those, plus I now have a severe frozen cheesecake addiction. (When we were first married we’d stop off at the Sara Lee store at an outlet mall and I’d eat most of a frozen strawberry cheesecake with Lloyd’s pocketknife. Don’t judge me.)

This came to me right as I was dropping off into a sugar-coma nap, but I’m probably not the first person to come up with this. (But maybe I’m the first one to freeze them! Freezing is key!) I’m sure you could use the ready-made cheesecake filling in a tub, but that stuff frightens me. I mixed half a block of cream cheese, about 2 tablespoons of sugar and somewhere between 1 and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Then whip 1/3 whipping cream with a tablespoon or two of sugar & fold into the the cream cheese mixture. Spread on half a graham cracker. Spread jam or preserves (but not jelly – – jelly would be gross) on the other half. Sandwich-ize them! Now, if you don’t want the giant mess I had my first try wrapping these, let them set up in the freezer for a half-hour or so.

Yes, that’s a towel.  I covered my gross-looking cookie sheet.

Tear off 8 inches of wax paper.

Thank goodness I froze that.

Fold.

Yep, just fold.

Flip.

Does anyone remember Flip Wilson?

Fold in the sides.

Like a burrito.

Like the other side of a burrito.

Flip, yet again.

I need to come up with a way to waste less paper.

Now, FREEZE, scumbag!

I didn’t mean to call you scumbag.

Sweet! A frozen cheesecake sandwich anytime I want! (Um, when’s that high school reunion? I think I have a problem.)

35 Responses to “Cut to the chase.”

I wonder if freezing anything sweet would make it better.
    Frozen Thin Mints? Yes.
    Frozen candy bars? Yes.
    Frozen funnel cake? Probably not.

And just what is the difference between jelly and jam?
    And preserves, for that matter?

Well, preserves were not what I had hoped. They had big ol’chunks of fruit. I was going for ‘strawberries in a blender’ texture. Maybe that’s jam.

• Curt Said on:

You are correct. Jam is pretty much the whole fruit blended or pureed. Preserves is Jam with chunks of fruit. Jelly is made from the juice only. I think they add gelatin to get that jello consistancy. There might be cooking involved in any of these, I am not sure. Reason why I know some of this: My Grandma and Aunt Nora canned many jars of all of these. Mostly Grape and Strawberry. Mmmmm…Good.

Disclaimer: The words above are purely from the head of Curt. The writer claims all of this to be fact but takes no resposibility for correctness.

• Stephannie Said on:

You should try something like Polaner All Fruit…

• kiwe Said on:

I am so glad you asked because I have no idea. Why is jelly gross? Have I been missing something all my life? Now I am panicking…what have I been missing?

Jelly on a sandwich is good, but I don’t think I’d like it in this application. The thought of biting into frozen jelly……*shudder*…. (I have texture issues.)

Non-stale double stuff Oreo cookies are great frozen, especially in the summer. And M&M’s & milky ways. Now off to the store for some summer essentials.

Frozen drumsticks are good too! Way better than room temperature ones. 😉

Frozen fruit juice mixed with jello, frozen mashed up strawberries with sugar.

• Stephannie Said on:

Frozen grapes are the best!

You’d have to go seedless with those, right? Seems like it would be a bother otherwise. Do you peel them first or just toss them in the freezer?

• Stephannie Said on:

Yep -- seedles grapes, not peeled. I’ve read that they should be frozen first on a cookie sheet or something and then put into an airtight bowl, but I just put them directly into the bowl and don’t usually have any trouble. I like green ones best -- they’re like tiny popsicles!

I usually keep a can of fruit cocktail frozen in the icebox. You just open it up and dig in with a spoon. Instant frozen treat (except it’s not really instant).

6. Lauren's dad Said on:

I go for frozen sweet (Bing, Lambert, etc.) cherries. Be careful not to break a tooth on the pit.

7. Annette Said on:

Lloyd, what happens if you freeze sweet Lauren?

Lauren, have you eaten one of your wonderful creations? Do report!

9. Lisa S Said on:

Has anyone ever thought of covering that whole thing in chocolate first and THEN freezing it? — I’m drooling just thinking about it…. 😀

10. Maggie Said on:

I may have found my people.

You guys ROCK.

And these treats. O. M. G. I am sooo making these. And, if the kids are lucky, they might even get some!

11. Jill Said on:

Where has this thread been? I’ve never seen it. How did I miss this much deliciousness?!? Can’t wait to try ’em!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tiny Frozen Things | LloydAndLauren.com - March 12, 2009

[…] UPDATE: A faster way to make frozen cheesecake, sandwich-style -- HERE. cheescake, Cooking, dessert, frozen, […]