The Fourth

July 4, 2008

Journal, Lauren

UPDATE UPDATE:  Lloyd, I’m sorry the pictures haven’t been put up!  I’ve been distracted by all the hottie hugging and whatnot.  Lloyd’s at Heit’s point with his family this weekend, and tomorrow I’ll have a montage of his time there.  That is, if he’s still speaking to me.

Good times.

UPDATE: I’m putting this update right at the front, because it totally trumps all the other things I wrote about in a sleepy stupor last night.  I LOVE a parade, as I’ll say later.  I believe in being loud, cheering, clapping, waving and generally making a scene. My favorite part is yelling the names of politicians and beauty queens so they’ll look right at us with a confused face and wave back.  We have a good crowd around us, and Brent and Sandra’s house is becoming known as an active corner of the parade route.  Anyway, Brent was stealing my thunder yesterday by not just waving at the politicians, but actually going out to the curb to shake their hands!  He had a photo taken with Jeff Fortenberry (I?? I think that was his name ??), and then went out to shake Scott Kleeb’s hand.  Now, you must  know that Scott Kleeb is a Democrat (running for Sentate), “Satan’s representation on earth” – depending on which Republican you talk to, and a total, total hottie.  He was holding up the parade because he was shaking so many hands!  Yeah, Brent got to shake his hand, but our yelling made him come up on the lawn, and I went in for a big ol’ hug (with the super-hottie.) So, my apologies to Lloyd, my little Republican delegate – I’ve turned to the dark, handsome side.

Hugging the devil - it feels so right….

We now return to the original post:

It was another successful 4th in Seward.  For any new readers, the 4th is a BIG deal in Seward.  Our little town swells in size to gigantic proportions.  We have activities up the wazoo.  You can see last year’s post for some pictures of our goings-on.

So much to see, so much to do.

I don’t really attend too much of the stuff.  We walked the square and looked at the crapcrafts, and then… the parade!!  My very favorite part.  If Brent sends me a picture he took, I might have an update later.  Anyway, here’s a picture of the Concordia float we worked on.   That looks like a bell under the cross, right?

Look at that cross.  What internal structure it must have!

And lastly, a link to a little video of some music at the bandshell and Brad enjoying a funnel cake.  In the video it looks like no one was watching the band, but they had all skeedaddled to seats in the shade.  (Not like us.)  We missed you, Lloyd. Go to Bradaptation to see how we did with the beverage pond.

, ,

20 Responses to “The Fourth”

Brad?!? You mean that bald guy in the straw hat … my eye sight, she’s not a so good, but I’m pretty sure that’s Kenny Chesney.

And the float looks MARVELOUS … the cross is AWESOME as is the bell (the bell’s the thing that looks like a hay stack, right?)

Ha! That movie is hilarious! But I have to say, that funnel cake was improperly cooked. It was SOAKED with oil. I could only eat half of it. I felt like a failure.

• Michele Said on:

Did you throw out the other half of that funnel cake? Did you have someone spit on it for you first? I would have done that for you had I been there -- ha!

3. Michele Said on:

Dnag! That guy IS a hottie!

I also recognize that guy in the striped shirt behind you. I actually recognized the shirt first -- he, he!

4. kiwe Said on:

I might vote Democrat if my senator looked like that.

Jinx! Buy me a coke!

When everyone was giving me guff about hugging a Democrat I said, “I don’t care what he stands for -- as long as he stands for it…. and turns around a little.”

• kiwe Said on:

And sometimes bends down a little to sign a bill. Ok maybe that is going a little too far, but I don’t want God’s creation to go to waist…and I’m single…I can appreciate.

5. Deborah Said on:

Did you step on his toes?

Brent was shaking the hand of Mike Johanns. He’s more important than Jeff, which is why Brent thought he was trumping you. But in the end, you win.

I mostly couldn’t believe how very tight Scott’s wranglers were. I guess I should have, he is afterall, a true farmboy turned politician, and farmboys wear tight jeans so as not to get anything caught in a auger.

Thank you! I couldn’t remember any names.

• Kristi Said on:

The jeans are the first thing I noticed. Ooh, baby! And, Lauren, did you give those guys a nice squeeze?

• kiwe Said on:

Do people really get things caught in a auger? I mean really, is that a danger where you all live?

• Beth Said on:

Yes. Yes. Nebraska. I know a guy who lost his arm in a grain auger, and another guy who lost a few fingers.

Grain augers are giant. And they scare me. Mostly because I’m really a transplanted city girl. But my husband doesn’t even wince around one. He’s born and bred farm boy. And, the strongest man I know. (I’m pretty sure he’s the strongest man Lauren knows, too.)

7. Annette Said on:

The CU float was truly amazing, good job Royuk’s and Lauren. Scott Kleeb was truly amazing, good job God!

I just saw this commercial and thought of you, Lauren. Did you have your Soyjoy yesterday?

9. Lloyd Said on:

Was Ron Paul there? Did you hug him? Since Lauren has stopped posting my pictures, I’m going to stop sending her any. Does anyone else want them?

By the way…is that Melanie in the background holding the child of Steve? Lloyd, I want another picture of that baby -- he’s got to be cute, with his two dashing parents and all. 😀