Drat those doors.

August 5, 2008

Home 'Improvement'

What am I doing wrong that my kitchen cabinet doors are rebelling?  Did I anger someone who has cursed me?  Have I not been kind to them?  Have I not occasionally swiped them with a wet rag when I notice that they are turning brown?  I’ve got another one that refuses to close, and since the garbage is behind this one, I don’t think we can implement the Open Door policy.  Grrrrrrrr.

Just enough to be annoying.

12 Responses to “Drat those doors.”

1. Kitt Said on:

A magnet closure would fix that.

2. Annette Said on:

Take the trash out?

Maybe it’s all the rats going in and out. Get some traps already!

You could get a kid lock. Then everytime you tried to OPEN it you’d cuss and spit.

Did you try adjusting the hinges? I think there’s some kind of screw you can tighten and loosen that helps to balance them. I’ll have to post a pic of my cupboard door that doesn’t close… for entirely different reasons!

6. Rae Said on:

Block the house up on the opposite side so that the kitchen tilts back -- thus keeping the door closed. 🙂

7. Mark Said on:

Try putting a solid straight edge up against the top and bottom edges of the door, running from the handle side to the hinge side. Is the door warped/curved?

If not, I would suspect the hinges are either coming loose, or have gone out of adjustment (if adjustable), or need cleaning/some oil.

Yeah, they’re adjustable, but that involves trial and error to fix it. I’m really good at ‘error’, but ‘trial’ is not my strong suit.

8. Mark Said on:

The other thing I just thought of is that a latch on one of our cabinet doors came loose and wouldn’t hold the little grabber plate on the cabinet frame.