How much is enough?

How much is enough?

August 18, 2008

Drawings, Journal, Lauren

I am surrounded at work by people who don’t seem to need sleep. They’re all taking classes and staying up until or waking up at ungodly hours, or are having sleep troubles and wake up all night. I am not one of those people. I need sleep. I love sleep. Seriously, I’m only getting about 7 1/2 hours right now, and it’s wearing me down. For the people at work, that’s ton of sleep. I carry a lot of guilt.

How much sleep do you need? How much sleep do you get?

20 Responses to “How much is enough?”

1. Kathi D Said on:

I would actually LOVE to get 9-10 hours! But I have been battling sleep even more than usual lately. Can’t get to sleep at night. Once I’m asleep, could sleep all day. But can’t. Things to do. So I get maybe 6 hours at night and if I’m lucky, an afternoon nap outside while I pretend to read.

2. Kathi D Said on:

And why feel guilty? I suspect all of us would do a lot better with more sleep. I am never at my best when I’m not getting enough sleep.

I’ve been getting 7 or 8 hours pretty consistently all summer. I’ll stay at 7 once school starts. But I do tend to pass out on the couch when I get home from school.

1st-NEVER EVER feel guilty for being able to sleep or for getting the correct amt. of sleep. You are doing it right!! Yay! And I too LOVE sleep! It’s so glorious!

I think I had insomnia over the summer…last look at the clock was always between 3:30 & 4:30 AM. But I need about 7 or 8 hrs., but want 10… sprinkled with naps.

5. Marisa Said on:

I’m with you, I need a lot of sleep. These days I get about 7 hours and it never feels like enough. 8 to 8 1/2 would be perfect, but I just can’t seem to carve out the time to make it happen.

Here’s to lots of quality sleep!

6. kiwe Said on:

I sleep from about 10pm to 5am. What’s that about 7 hours? But after school I end up asleep on my couch for at least an hour. I could sleep all day if I didn’t stress so much. BTW today is the first day of school for me. Lament for me.

I’ve been sleeping 5-7 lately, but I really want 8-9. I think if I could get 7-8 consistently, I’d be in pretty good shape. And I might not have sleepy bags under my eyes.

I get my best sleep from 10pm -- 1:30am. After that it’s touch and go. Sometimes I sleep from 10 -- 4am…those are good nights. And, one might think it’s small children that interrupt my sleep…but actually, my kids are great sleepers -- it’s me that doesn’t sleep well. I don’t know why. Thankfully, I’m not really tired during the day very often. So…apparently I don’t require much sleep. In high school I even got up at 5am every morning to work at the dining hall…crazy.

Here ends the epistle reading.

9. Jill Said on:

I, too, love sleep, I love my comfy bed, oh to be back in my bed right now would be heaven! SIGH…… I try to get about 8 hours or more, but I have been staying up way to late and 4:30 comes awfully early, so I am sleep deprived and grouchy about it.

Right now I think I could sleep 12 hours a day and still need naps. Sadly, I can’t sleep more than 6 or 7 hours comfortably. Since I can only sleep on my sides, and preferably my left side, my hips get achy. Some nights I end up sleeping in the recliner. *sigh It’s only going to get worse before it’s better (in 18 years or so).

11. Jessica Said on:

According to my mom, I haven’t ever slept through the night -- and I still don’t. I get about 5 solid hours mixed each night with tossing and turning. I go to bed between 11 and midnight, sleep exactly two hours, toss and turn until 5 or so, and sleep from 5 until 7. I must not need more than that, because I am still functioning after a lifetime of this. But I would love, just once, to get 8 uninterrupted hours just to see what it’s like.

And that picture of the cat slays me, because that is exactly the scene in my bed!

12. Lauren Said on:

Thanks, everyone. You guys made me feel much better, except for those of you that made me feel worse. 🙂 I hope all of us get a decent night’s sleep tonight!

13. Kathi D Said on:

Rats. Here I am, up at 3 a.m. My sleeping is getting worse. Arrrrgh.

I’m sorry. I was wide awake at 1:45, convinced that Lloyd was going to back into the neighbor’s car with that giant van. It took a while to calm down.

14. Curt Said on:

I see an underlying theme here with a few of you. Kick the cats out of the bed, maybe you would sleep better.