That’s gonna take some work.

September 1, 2008

Cooking

So it turns out that I stink at grilled pizza.  I’m confident that at some point in the future it will go well, but certainly not this time.  I read about it on the internet, so I knew you could do it with or without a pizza stone.  Some people said they used their cheap stone in case it cracked.  Not me – I foolishly bravely used my only stone anyway, thinking I had the heat set at ‘medium’.

I did not.

Like the Grand Canyon

Whatever. It still works – just push it back together like a puzzle and carry on.  (One of my kid’s moms sells Pampered Chef, so I’m good for a replacement.)  This was not the worst thing that happened – that is yet to come.  I pre-baked the crust a bit, as is my custom, since I don’t like soggy crust.  Since I had the heat on medium HIGH instead of medium or medium-low, that stone was rocket-hot.   It was fine when it was still just plain bread, but cooking the actual pizza on it was a bit of a disaster.  By the time the cheese was melted on the top (yum),

Not so bad!

the bottom was a blackened mess (yuck).

That’s hard to fix.

God bless Lloyd – he’ll eat anything.  You can’t scrape pizza like burnt toast, so I just tried to pull off the worst bits from my pieces, but Lloyd at them straight up.  He’s got an iron stomach, that boy.

11 Responses to “That’s gonna take some work.”

If I had a cracked stone like that, I’d use schedule forty.

Arrgghhh! Sorry for the busted stone and burnt crust… 🙁

Hey, does your apron match your shelf liner?

3. Deborah Said on:

Lloyd’s like me. He’s just glad someone else is cooking. Therefore, he’ll eat anything as long as he doesn’t have to make it.

I haven’t been successful with any pizza. I actually bought our bread machine in order to make pizza dough regularly. But no pizza has turned out very good, so I use the bread machine for bread. (imagine that) I’ll probably have to try again sometime…

Do I see a pretty stripe-itty apron? If so, I love it!

So did it taste grilled? Not counting the burnt part (I love some burnt parts on chicken btw; guess pizza’s not the same) I mean is it supposed to taste grilled or just like regular pizza … I’m having a hard time imagining the flavor … all I know is now I’m CRAVING pizza!

7. Kathi D Said on:

OK, here’s what you use to cook pizza on the grill. You go to the big box home improvement store and buy unglazed quarry tiles. Buy enough to fit your BBQ. It will cost maybe $3, and although they might break eventually, they last longer than the pizza stone, and again, $3.

Don’t prebake the crust. You don’t need to worry about it being soggy on the grill. And keep the pizzas smallish. Do individual pizzas, say 8 or 9-inch diameter, and let everybody pick their toppings. They will be easier to handle and cook through before the bottom burns.

I only make pizza on the grill, because it keeps the flung flour and corn meal off my kitchen floor, and because the crust is much crustier and it tastes better.

Ok, I have actually wandered through Home Depot looking for those tiles, but I don’t know what I’m looking for. I’m too foolish to actually ask someone there, so I’ve never found them. Are they terra-cotta color? Are they just regular floor tiles that are rough? I need help.

8. Annette Said on:

Yes, but how was it this morning for breakfast?

9. Michele Said on:

I’m so sorry your pizza experiment did not turn out as planned. We just replaced our 24-year old Magic Chef range with a new Jenn-Air convection range. So far we’ve burned Pillsbury Cinnamon rolls (scraped off the bottom) and garlic bread (another scrape-off experience) -- I’m feelin’ your pain!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Bookmarks about Pizza - October 13, 2008

[…] -- bookmarked by 3 members originally found by tomthedude on 2008-09-21 That’s gonna take some work. http://lloydandlauren.com/?p=2132 -- bookmarked by 3 members originally found by jonhostetler on […]