Impulse Buy

September 16, 2008

Cooking

You shouldn’t shop when you’re hungry, and I was hungry on Sunday.  We saw this in the baking aisle – chunky, crunchy sugar.  Mmmmm….. crunchy sugar – a novelty for the Sommerer household, but it has to be way more awesome than regular sugar.  It comes from Hawaii, for cryin’ out loud!  “On the island of Maui lie fertile tropical plantations.  There the rich volcanic soil is warmed by the Pacific sun, fed by mountain waters, and cooled by friendly tradewinds.  These are the perfect conditions for growing sugar cane, nature’s own sweetener.”  Huh. I think I got a tan just from reading the box.

I need some healthy cereal to dump this on.

9 Responses to “Impulse Buy”

When I go to Panera Bread, I drink tea with this in it, but I don’t mix it well. That way I have crunchy sugar to suck through the straw. Mmmmm… It makes my mouth water to think about it…

Amen. I always say God made sugar for us to use, not to substitute…and it’s only 10 calories per cup, or is that per tsp?

BTW: How was your cereal with this sugar?

3. Annette Said on:

The name is a little trashy.

Just be aware that for baking it will measure differently. In fact, I was just doing a little reading, and people who bake with raw sugars (like demorara) buy a fine version and substitute it for granulated. Or they just grind it up themselves in a coffee grinder. Apparently, if you throw it in a recipe just like it is, it leaves holes.

Another hint, weigh raw sugars to match the weight of the proper measure of sugar. So if a cup of granulated sugar weighs… I don’t know, 6 ounces, then you’d want to use 6 ounces of the raw sugar, even if it takes up the space of a cup and a half of granulated.

5. Deborah Said on:

Let’s see your tan.

6. Uyek Said on:

If you can find this in sugarcube form (it exists!), it’s heavenly to drink coffee/tea with it à la russe. Translation: hold sugarcube in mouth, drink coffee/tea, count the cavities. Yum.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. LloydAndLauren.com » One lump or two? - October 19, 2008

[…] the crunchy sugar?  Well, it was a mistake to put it in the sugar shaker.  The hole was too small, so it […]