Just like Dad

October 27, 2008

Journal

I went downtown this afternoon for a bit.  My kids are interested in money (who isn’t?), so I went to the bank to get some ‘samples’ and one of those quarter-collecting books, and then over to our local thrift store to see if they had any money-related items.  I passed over a weird tiny vending machine and a scary ceramic piggy bank shaped like a cat (catty-bank?), but I did get this.

Just ten cents!

A coin purse!  Sure, I’ll let the kids play with it for a while, but then this baby’s all mine.  Did your dad keep one of these in his pocket?  (Dad, do you still have yours?)  Lloyd and I have laughed before that our memories of our father’s pocket contents are exactly the same: a coin purse, keys, a nail clipper, a pocketknife and a chapstick.

Plus, it makes an awesome, slightly creepy eyeless puppet.

19 Responses to “Just like Dad”

Our dad had one of those, but I don’t remember what else he kept in his pockets. I used his as both an eyeless puppet, and a spaceship docking station that flying saucers used.

I think I had one of those. And my grandparents… lots of folks, really. But my dad had this cool accordion-thingie for change. Like this one: http://www.brandsonsale.com/ync-92808.html

DID our Dad have one? Heh. He still DOES!

4. Lauren'sdad Said on:

Yep, I STILL have one, probably not the same one I had before you left for college. It’s deteriorating, but then so are the coins of the land. I most likely don’t have a like-new one in a drawer somewhere. But the way things are going, one won’t be needed.

Yay! What I really need is your awesome bank that looks like a cash register. Another of my favorite childhood memories. (It only opened when you reached $10.)

5. Lauren'sdad Said on:

That was to keep children out of it. It can be cracked another way.

What!?!? All those wasted years trying to pry that little door open but being afraid I’d bend it were for not? (naught?) (I didn’t want the money, I just had to see inside.)

My dad didn’t have any pockets…

7. Curt Said on:

I still have mine from when I was a kid. It is red and has Concordia Bank on it. I store my old wheat pennies in it now.

• Peggy Said on:

Happy Birthday Curt!! Have a great day!!!

Buy yourself some expensive pants…or a bank!

• Curt Said on:

Thanks Peggy!! Nah, expensive pants are a waste on me. Buying a bank is a good idea. Some are selling pennies on the dollar. I can’t wait to go home and get out my penny jar.

8. Rae Said on:

My dad had one of these too! His was dark green and had a round hole on the back side (about the size of a pencil eraser). He hung it on a little hook in the car right next to his inconspicuous little cross. Maybe that was a sign to anyone thinking of taking his coins. 🙂 I know the little cross still resides in his vehicle, but I haven’t seen the other in quite some time.