More than you wanted to know.

January 8, 2009

Home 'Improvement'

This is for Christina.

When Lloyd and I moved into this house, we didn’t have a bedframe.  We just put the box spring and mattress on the floor and called it good for many, many years.  A while back (five years?), he went on a little summer trip to see his family, and I was inspired by the show While You Were Out.  You’ll need to know that Lloyd teaches chess to his middle school kids, and he is the only person I know who reads big, giant, boring books about chess. I had found a border online that showed castle-y things (this was back when I liked border), and we already had a ton of extra chess pieces around the house.

I took the picture of the least dusty set.

Some paint, some trim and the chess pieces completed the walls.  I had also purchased a couple of under-bed storage units made for twin beds, but cobbled them together for our queen bed.  That raised the bed substantially – the first night after I made them I slept in the middle of the bed because I was afraid I’d fall off.   By borrowing the neighbors router the ‘chessboard headboard’ was completed.  So there you go – our crazy chess room.  Can you see how my pillows are eight inches higher than Lloyd’s due to the incline pillow?

I didn’t have time to really clean the room.

And in case you’re wondering, yes – that’s a blanket over the window.  It’s eight degrees warmer on this side.

15 Responses to “More than you wanted to know.”

1. Kitt Said on:

Love it! Very creative, and attractive. I especially like that headboard.

If you re-do the guest room, the board game I want is Candy Land!

3. Lloyd Said on:

As I recall, there was a trail of chess pieces leading up to the bedroom.

And the other figure on the border is a woman holding a dombra ukulele. It really was meant to be.

I love how you’ve framed the king and queen pieces on each side of your bed. I have always loved that!

6. christina Said on:

That is wonderful! Are your side tables attached to the wall or am I just not seeing the legs? And I love the lights!

Yeah, the side tables are screwed into the wall. That would make it great for vacuming except there’s always books and junk under them (at least on my side of the bed).

7. Curt Said on:

I have been watching a program called Worlds Greenest Homes. Most of these homes are luxurious and your decor is similar to some of them (except for the blanket on the window) 🙂 I think it is the stone or southwest look. Very nice. I like the lights.

Also, what is that canister looking thing on the floor? Is that a legless night stand?

That is truly amazing!!! Ingenius all the way!!

But did it turn Lloyd into a “Pawn Star?