Well, THAT didn’t go according to plan.

January 18, 2009

Gadget

That’s an art shot

My consolation prize for Lloyd’s day of fun was a little pocket stove on the clearance table at Eddie Bauer.  It had everything going for it – cute, small, gadget-y, and most importantly: it involved fire.  I was so excited to try it out! This thing could save our lives someday!

Everything I ever wanted.

Now, I have to tell you that while I was taking the above photo, I was already planning my post and thinking how cool it would be to show you cooking with fire right in my kitchen.  It’s safe to use in a tent*, so I assumed the kitchen would be alright.  I was so excited to watch these mostly odorless*, smokeless* solid-fuel tablets bring a pint of water to a rolling boil in 8 minutes*, then watch it burn for the remaining 5 – 7 minutes*.    Doesn’t that sound like a fun way to spend an evening?

* All part of the instructions.

Here’s what really happened. I took the things out of the box, and right after I snapped the photo, Lloyd yelled, “What is that smell?  Is it cat poop**?”  We checked the cat’s butts because – really – they’re ancient and it’s entirely possible that they leaked.  No.  It was the box that stunk.  And the cubes.  And I had to listen to Lloyd grumble and act like he was dying because of a tiny little bit of toxic chemical vapor.  Sheesh!  I hurried up and shook a cube out of it’s packet so I could take the photo.  It broke.

** He didn’t really say ‘poop’.

Oops.

It didn’t just break, it shattered and got stinky chemical dust all over the counter.

“Get it out!  Get it out!” Lloyd was hollering from his computer chair, holding his nose.

I answered, “I’m trying to take a photo.  Hold your horses!”  *snap* (Doesn’t he know the importance of the photos?)

So I took it outside and lit it.  It’s a very cool, tiny little stove.  You can set up the side ‘arms’ at a 45 or 90 degree angle, depending on the size of your pan.  I had it all set up at the 45, which was a mistake.  After I snapped a bunch of shots, I moved the pan handle for a better photo (it’s all about the photo), and collapsed a side.  You all should be very proud of me for resisting my first instinct to just reach over and fix it the burny hot metal.  So I held the pot for the remaining nine minutes.

Oh, well.  I had fun.

My pint never reached a boil.

,

About Lauren

Lauren Sommerer is a preschool teacher who likes to build prototypes, grow cats, cook things once, save money, reduce, reuse and recycle.

View all posts by Lauren

Subscribe

Stay connected as you care to...

14 Responses to “Well, THAT didn’t go according to plan.”

  1. Arron/Karla Said on:

    Good morning Brad! 😉

    I’m so jealous that you have an Eddie Bauer store. They closed ours in the mall so they could open up a stupid teeny-bopper clothing store. I think that new store ended up closing within a year.

    Happy Heebee Weebee day, everybody!

    Reply

  2. kiwe Said on:

    That is so funny because I was looking for a little stove today and didn’t find one. Sorry about the cat poop smell. Can you imagine if you lit it in a small tent! Peee eeewww.

    Oh yeah, and good morning Brad. Yet another day without the first (or second) post.

    Reply

  3. Brad Said on:

    Dang. Well, I guess my consolation for not having first comment is that I’m off work today. Yay!

    I think you should try other exciting applications for the solid fuel cubes. For example: How hot would one cube make a cement brick? Could a cube heat your truck cab? Could you melt miracle bar ingredients with the heat of one cube? Could you cook an egg? The possibilities stagger the imagination.

    Reply

  4. christina Said on:

    Are your cats older than Brittney? She’s 16 at the end of this month.

    Reply

  5. Peggy Said on:

    I LOVE that first picture!! I thought I was looking thru a time portal at the Garden of Gesthemane…

    I’m sorry your little stove didn’t work & that it smelled like cat poop.

    Reply

    • Deanne Said on:

      I have to agree with Peggy on the photo. I skipped it pretty quickly in order to understand what was going on, and just never got my head back to it.

      Reply

  6. Mark Said on:

    Congratulations (again!). You got hit by at least one person on every inhabitable continent!!

    Reply

  7. Mark Said on:

    Oh, and by the way, I would never have an open flame INSIDE a tent. It’s NOT safe.

    Can you tell I’ve been reading a chapter on ethical issues in advertising?

    Reply

    • Deanne Said on:

      I’m going to second Mark on that. Camping stuff tends to be extremely flammable. Don’t know why that is, but many a tent have gone up in smoke… and I sure don’t want to be inside when that happens!!

      Reply

  8. Lloyd's Mom Said on:

    You must have Dad’s nose Lloyd. He can smell everything.

    Reply

Leave a Reply