How I spent my Superbowl.

February 1, 2009

Home 'Improvement'

Not being a big football fan (though I did root for the Steelers, on Harold’s behalf), I tried to get some stuff done around the house.  My brother Mark is going to be here Wednesday and his room is a disaster, so I cleaned out the kitchen cupboards.

Lotta mistakes here, folks. Lotta mistakes.

Look at all that unused food.  Shamefull.

How did it get to this point?  It took a good 45 minutes to tame this mess. Canned goods were relocated to the basement, like foods were re-grouped after years of migrating away from each other, things I’ll never use were put in a bag for the food pantry, and expired things were tossed.   I’d like to make a few notes to myself for future reference:

Quit buying crackers! I threw five half-eaten sleeves out for the birds. No more.
You do not like oatmeal. Stop kidding yourself.  Too ….. ooky.
Same with cream of wheat. It’s better, but still ooky. You have two boxes to finish.
You have enough basil and cinnamon to open an Italian Cinnabon.
Make some things that involve rice so you can use it up.

When it was all said and done, it looked like this:

All in their little places.

Well, I really should go work in Mark’s room.  Or……. paint the basement……

16 Responses to “How I spent my Superbowl.”

1. kiwe Said on:

Nice, very nice. I also have to cook things with rice and finish up the oatmeal. I really hate that stuff. What was I thinking buying it in the first place?

1-877-Ewwwwwwww

2. Kitt Said on:

Great job! My cabinets could use some help, too. Sure you can squeeze in a little road trip before Wednesday.

I think I’m the one who keeps buying crackers for your house. On return trips, I’ve tried to eat some of the old ones, and they were dusty, so I bought new ones. It’s a vicious cycle…

It’s noble of you to try to take the blame, but you’re only responsible for 25% of the cracker purchases. I do blame you for the oatmeal, though.

It’s beautiful.

Now, for getting some properly labled Tupperware(R). Like mine. 😀

Excellent!! But I don’t know how much more guilt I can take. I HATE cleaning out cabinets & closets & mine are all overdue…sigh

But you go girl!!

dried blueberries. soak a whole bunch and then add the oatmeal or cream of wheat. And be sure you put in a little cinnamon & sugar. it makes it much better. Really.

I say don’t fret about not liking oatmeal. We all can’t like everything! I’ll eat the oatmeal, you can have the shrimp. It comes out even eventually! 😀

8. Curt Said on:

If you need to unload some food, I am always willing to eat it. 🙂

Also, to get rid of the oatmeal, cream of wheat, crackers, etc., you could grind them up and put small portions in the bread you make. I am sure someone has tried this before.

• Deanne Said on:

Good thinking! The recipes I’ve seen want you to cook the oatmeal first. Just FYI.

• Brad Said on:

Interesting idea… Do you suppose you could do that with any excess substances around your house? I have a lot of old potting soil in my basement. Could I bake that into some brownies?

9. Lauren's dad Said on: