Leggo my Logo

Leggo my Logo

March 21, 2009

Lloyd

Yet another post that is only interesting to me. If you checked yesterday, you probably saw a variety of logos flash across the top of the site. Lauren was at a conference for most of the day, so I wasted a few hours doing something that I’m not very good at.

I think it’s good for a person to do things they are not especially good at. It gives you an appreciation for the people who are. I tell my students (usually in programming I) that it can be fun to work at things that you aren’t especially good at it. I’ve been in several choirs where I’ve been the worst tenor.

Go back to design school you loser.

1. This is the original one that I did. Lauren didn’t like the alarm clock. I was going with the whole time thing.
  2. This one was just me playing around. Lauren said it was like superman.
  3. So we ended up with this one: The logo that no one liked.
  4. When I first started playing this morning I made it larger (bigger is better) and used some gradient in the text.
  5. Oh, you never went to design school.

6. Hey, why not add in a thought bubble… No, that doesn’t look right.
  7. Out in front? Yeah, that looks better. And make the tag line pop out more. Everyone likes the tag line.
  8. What about a more interesting thought bubble? But then the LloydAndLauren.com is too busy. Lets simplify it a bit.
  9. No, too much. But the simplified LloydAndLauren is definitely better.
  10. But Now the “And” and the “.com” are too strong. Lets make them smaller.

I was feeling pretty good about the logo, but then Derek Guenther (a senior at Lincoln Lutheran) sent me one that I’m pretty sure is a lot better. I hate you, Derek.

, ,

About Lloyd

Lloyd Sommerer is a middle/high school teacher who likes to build websites, read books, grow beards, make fun of Lauren’s prototypes and eat the sauce of the picante.

18 Responses to “Leggo my Logo”

1. ratty Said on:

i like the one up there right now, but it’s not 1-9… i like #9, too 🙂

oh.
    wait.

ummm, is that derek’s up there now?
    well, #9 DID come in as a close second… really.

I was just thinking about logo design as I watched the beginning of a movie yesterday. I was thinking that there must be some kind of effort behind all the logos that were flashing up on the screen. And I wondered how a person learned to do good ones. Is there a class called “Designing Logos for Companies that Have Something to do with Movies”?

That remind me of The Great Muppet Caper:

[Kermit, Gonzo, and Fozzie are in a hot air balloon, flying through the opening credits]
      Fozzie: Nobody really reads those. Do they?
      Kermit: Sure they do. They all have families.

3. CousinSam Said on:

#1
    LloydandLauren.com
    It’s alarming how much of our wasted time becomes your wasted time!

There now I don’t owe you anything.

I actually get 1% of your time back at the end of the year. I usually go on a vacation during the -3, -2 and -1 weeks of January.

Yeah, that change in font takes it from formal, footed font, to scribbling, which feels a lot more wasted & relaxed. Fonts. It’s amazing how they can change the look & feel of something.

Lauren’s brother Phil used to do signs in California, and he could just look at a font tell what it was. I thought that was amazing.

I like Derek’s best.(Sorry Lloyd) And it’s not just because I taught him in middle school science. It’s because his is better.

Yeah…I like the one that’s up there now the best too…it’s a perfect font. (and I like #9 & #2)

But you win for BEST TITLE of a post! EXCELLENT!!!

7. Lauren's mom Said on:

I like the one that is up there, too. My second choice would be #6.

I like Derek’s. Sorry Lloyd.

9. Lauren Said on:

Well, if no one else is going to say it -- I will. NONE of those logos say LaurenAndLloyd.com. That’s the real problem.

10. Lloyd's Mom Said on:

I like the superman one # 2 but I like the thought bubble too! What is Meta?? I thought it was the town. Wondered when you got there to take pictures.

Didn’t I meet a cute girl in Meta when I was 13? But in this case it’s talking (or thinking or whatever) about something at one level “higher” or more removed. MetaData is information (data) about the data. MetaCognition is thinking about thinking.

This website (in as much as it can be said to be about anything) is about Lloyd and Lauren, posts with the meta tag is about the website itself.

This generally means that I’m the only one interested in any post tagged with “meta”. Did that make any sense? Anyone else what to try?