Some advice needed

Some advice needed

April 7, 2009

Lauren

…. but I’ll get it too late.

Every Easter I make Resurrection Buns with the children at the center. It involves wrapping a flattened refrigerator biscuit around a marshmallow, sealing it up, baking it, then – surprise! It’s empty inside, reminding us of the empty tomb.

Last year I had the flattening of the unbaked biscuit down to a science (put it between two pieces of plastic wrap and let the child go to town rolling it out). The breakdown happens during the sealing. I try to pinch and roll and pinch some more, but several ‘tombs’ spring leaks during baking. It kind of ruins the surprise when there’s obviously marshmallow oozing out all over the place. What do I do? Do I wet the dough edges down? I’ve tried using two biscuits per ‘tomb’ but it gets to be a little big.

So, any advice would be welcome. I’ll check this before we commence rolling if I can. Thanks!

both

16 Responses to “Some advice needed”

1. Mark Said on:

Can’t help you there, sis. But I claim FIRST REPLY!!

I heard somebody talking about this just the other day. They said they used crescent rolls. Maybe that variety of dough-in-a-tube is more sticky?

• Peggy Said on:

I’ll get that ‘somebody…number 2’ (I’m number 1) to tell you how she keeps her tombs closed.

My only suggestions, besides the staples, Karla beat me to it…is to maybe use a fork & crease the edges with that…like a pie.

Let us know how they turn out…and a picture would be cool!

• Brad Said on:

I almost said it was you, but then I didn’t think it was, so I’m glad I didn’t. At least I remmbered that much.

• Kim Said on:

better late than never?

We just did this in Sunday School. We dunked the marshmellow in melted butter, rolled it in cinnamon sugar and put it in the center of a crescent roll. The kids kinda mashed it all together so it looked like a ball. Then back in the butter and cinnamon sugar. We baked them in cupcake liners in a cupcake pan.

I don’t have anything magic about sealing it up, except for the kids mashing it together.

We had some goo, but not too much.

Just staple down the edges. That should work nicely.

4. Mark Said on:

Hey, if Elmer’s and staples are on the table, may I also suggest a high quality latex construction caulk?

I’ve heard of crescent rolls, too. But since you have biscuit dough in bulk…

My other thought is to warm the biscuit dough a bit, so it’s stickier, before sealing.

Or brush with egg whites?

Can you wet the edges of the tomb a bit so that they stick together better?

7. Curt` Said on:

Maybe the marshmellows too big?

8. Lauren Said on:

It’s naptime now and I’m checking in after the fact. Thank to everyone for your advice and I think I have the secret -- pinch them like mad and put them on the pan seam side down. They had blowouts as usual, but the ones that had a smooth top at least looked tomb-like. Great conversation and great sticky fingers! (I forgot to take a picture of the final product!)