Suggestions welcome

Suggestions welcome

June 24, 2009

Home 'Improvement'

We’re not what you’d call ‘house proud’. In fact, usually things only get cleaned around here when they appear in a post picture and I realize how awful it looks (dirty countertops, hairball-ridden floors, grimy cupboards). Eh.

Just awful.

This area is someplace I’ve noticed on my own, though, and I’d like to do something about it. The trouble is that I get incapacitated by my ‘but then’s. “I should call somebody to replace this stoop! But then I’ll have to look up a local concrete place. I’m sure they’ll do that – right? Yeah, but then I have to find the phone book and talk to somebody. And what if they want to come over? Then I’ll have to be home. What if they DO replace it and they goof up the siding? I should just go watch t.v. and try to forget about this.”

I’m pretty ashamed of this, though. It has two areas of giant canyon-like cracks, and also two areas where avalanches have happened. Those flowers on the corner? They’re holding up two broken-off pieces. That big area with the chunk missing has a river of rust going down the side. (In fact, this picture is shaming me so much, I’m going to go out and WEED, for cryin’ out loud.) I’m such a slob.

So, what do you think? Is it repairable and repaintable, or do we just ask someone to come destroy it and build a new one? or what?

20 Responses to “Suggestions welcome”

Or call Kevin Potratz. Just last week he was pouring new steps in front of his own house.

I’m pretty un-house proud myself. I just got around to getting rid of some terrible weeds recently. And that was about 1/8th of the total weedage. If you don’t count the clover that has decided to become our grass. I don’t remember the clover ever being so bad…

I’m sure you can do the repair yourself with some super glue and duct tape. That’ll look classy.

4. Gretchen Said on:

I’ve never been in the market for concrete steps myself, but I think they can be puchased pre-made instead of calling in a concrete truck. At least around here there is Mobile Home Supply store that has a wide variety of steps for sale which are on display right in front of their building. If not, try spray paint.

5. Rae Said on:

You should contact HGTV and have them feature you on their “Curb Appeal” show. I am sure that Brad would get along very well with all their grounds folks, talking plants and plans. And you, Lauren could wonder at all their toys. And Lloyd could follow the camera men around telling them all how he could do that same stuff with his iphone!. 🙂 It would make a great episode that I would definitely watch.

6. Katxena Said on:

I can’t help with the steps, but let me help with the weeds! Don’t pull those weeds. Get some vinegar (white wine, cider, whatever’s cheapest) and pour it on the weeds. It will not only kill them in a few days, but it will prevent other weeds from emerging. You only want to do this someplace where you want nothing to grow — like in a crack or seam in a walkway or sidewalk — because it will kill everything, even plants you want to keep.

• Deanne Said on:

So I’m going to skip the vinegar in my lawn. What about the beds under the bushes? Can I get em there and avoid killing the bushes?

Ok, my driveway is pickled and I am out of vinegar. I went out with a paltry eight ounces, and three-quarters of a gallon later, I am done. Thanks for the info!

That 1st picture is very, very cool!! You could frame it with some nice matting & hang it as modern art…seriously. I wonder how a picture of hairy floors taken at the right angle would turn out? I’ll go try one of my hallway right now. Dirt as art. I think we’re on to something big here.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Oh, and sorry about your cracked porch. But I’m very confident that you could fix it & have fun while doing it. You could build a little corner mold, mix up some concrete, pour it in & Viola!!

Or call someone.

9. Mark Said on:

It’s too bad Seward doesn’t have a company like this you could call:

10. Deborah Said on:

I’m with Peggy. Frame that picture. You could sell it for big bucks and then pay for someone to make you a new stoop.

Your sedum, on the other hand, looks gorgeous!

12. Annette Said on:

Do it yourself. I think you’d find many joy-filled hours embracing the wonderfulness of L-Brackets in the repair. yeah, I’ve got nothing!

Could something be done with paper mache?