America's Official 4th of July City

America’s Official 4th of July City

July 1, 2009

Lloyd

Seward Nebraska: population 6,500
Seward Nebraska: number of fireworks stands: 9

PowBoomBangSwooshKrackleWooshKa-powShreeeekFizzle

A few days ago the fireworks stands started opening. As of today, there are 9 of them scattered around the town, and I’m not sure we saw all of them. They tend to clump together, as you can see on this map. While I was doing a little yard work I found 4 bottle rocket sticks in the grass. Everyone’s getting ready for the 4th, so come on over (but we’ll be in Missouri).

Click for the readable version

So, that’s what’s going on. Click on the picture for a readable copy (it’s a pdf).

About Lloyd

Lloyd Sommerer is a middle/high school teacher who likes to build websites, read books, grow beards, make fun of Lauren’s prototypes and eat the sauce of the picante.

10 Responses to “America’s Official 4th of July City”

I’m on my way.

Behold, the power of the Internet: Already one person coming to Seward. Anyone else? With us gone there’s room for about 5 more adults or 17 college students.

2. Lauren Said on:

I really don’t think that red and white striped one is a fireworks stand. It didn’t seem to have any traffic going in and out.

….. unless it’s a top secret fireworks stand….

So what did Seward determine are the foundations of freedom?

Plum Creek? You have a Plum Creek in Seward?!? Awesome!!

And free shuttle service? What a great town!! Oh how I wish I was just a little closer to NE. I’d be on my way too!!

5. Curt Said on:

I plan to be in Seward on the 4th!! Maybe I will go and see the anvil drop (or firing). Why do I kid myself, I won’t make it to Seward by 7:30am. I’ve only seen this once and I was really hung over.

Indiana can sell fireworks year round, so we have plenty of brick and mortar locations. A few years ago, one of them (Boomtown Fireworks) had a electrical fire in their building. Boomtown when boom! I think I would have paid to watch that burn. 🙂 Not quite so funny was the VW dealership right next door that lost a few vehicles in the incident.

7. jman Said on:

The best 4th display I have ever seen was in Cuba. Imagine, a communist country had the best I have ever seen. It was on the base 20 years ago. Hard to beat aircraft dropping bombs, mortar fire, tanks and fireworks.