What's all the hoopla about?

What’s all the hoopla about?

July 22, 2009

Gadget

*snicker*

When we were at Heit’s Point, Lloyd’s first-cousin-once-removed had a super-cool hula hoop that was filled with water. (You can see Lloyd’s cousin Jane using it in the Flickr set.) It was heavy, and was slow to …. hula? Is that the verb? Anyway, Meredith said she used it a few minutes every day and since her body looks like a Greek goddess, I thought it would be nice to give one a shot. Plus, I’ve had a spot on my spine for a while that feels like it might give out someday, so this is good for strengthening my core muscles, if I have any.

I looked around online and found some water ones, but they seemed like they would be a pain to ship. Luckily there was a company that sold a heavy (non-water-filled) one in sections that you assemble yourself. Clever monkeys.

It’s three pounds once assembled, and this thing comes with all kinds of warnings. Apparently I’m only supposed to use it one to three minutes per day or I’ll be covered with bruises. I can’t help it, though – hula hooping might be the only sort-of sport that I’m good at.

Thumbs up for health!

21 Responses to “What’s all the hoopla about?”

So. Does that thing work your abs?

And. Do those bumps cause bruises? Because I think those warnings might be right…

2. Rae Said on:

Does it give any type of warning about Brad staying out of the circumfrical (my new word of the day) path of this new toy?

I preferred to watch from the comfort of the couch. I strengthen my core muscles by getting up to get food every once in a while.

4. Annette Said on:

So, did you mean to say, “I thought it would be nice to give one a shot.” Or, “I thought it would be nice to give it one shot.”
    Just checking.

That is awesome. Hula hoop your way to better fitness. Oh, and walk to work. Too cool.

“…if I have any”…HA!!! Oh and GREAT action shots!!!

But I have questions:

1. I really would like to know if you feel it in your core muscles…because I’m all for 1 minute of stomach exercise per day. I may have to get one of those.

2. What is a cousin once removed?

• Curt Said on:

I had the same question as Peggy. Did you remove her from your family once but then she came back? A cousin twice removed is some kicked out twice and they came back again and again?

Exactly. ‘Removed’. 😉

In regards to all of you questions:
        Yes, it works your abs. I don’t feel any ‘burn’ today, but I can tell I used them.
        Yes, the weight and the bumps cause the bruises. I’m not bruised today, but it’s tough to bruise squishiness.
        There were warnings about using it if you were pregnant or had spinal injuries, but no warnings about Brads.
        Annette -- ha. It’s true. In a month I’ll have forgotten I own it.

• Brad Said on:

Ooo! Ooo! I can answer the second question. I always talk about it in Religion class because Isaac married his first cousin once removed, Rebekah. Rebekah is Isaac’s cousin’s daughter. The child of your first cousin is your first cousin once removed.

Did you know it’s legal to marry your first cousin in Maryland?

• Peggy Said on:

I always call my cousins’ kids my 2nd cousins & their kids my 3rd cousins….so that’s all wrong, right? And therefore am I to assume ‘2nd & 3rd cousins’ are just made up terms…they’re cousins once, twice, thrice removed? Or might I have a 2nd cousin once removed?

7. Amy Said on:

ooo, that looks like fun. : ) I hope it works, it sounds like a good idea!

8. Mark Said on:

I’m too bloody tired to type straight…

9. Lauren Said on:

What, do you have a new baby at your house or something?

10. Ribs Said on:

Hey Lauren, long time no comments from me. And this is on a fairly old post too, but bear with me -- I’m working through my reader backlog.

I too have got the hula bug recently. I am now on week 3 of the great hula experiment (10 mins a day for 4 weeks) and I am utterly convinced that my abs are getting stronger. In fact, my whole midsection is benefitting.

Now I sound like a hula salesman. Seriously folks, hula works -- buy one today!

I was pretty bruised in the first week, but now I can hula for 10 whole minutes without dropping it, so I’m allowed to do it indoors.

Ribs! Welcome back!

I hear you about the stronger abs. I think if someone punched me in the stomach, I might have a good chance of protecting my intestines now.

I cracked up about the ‘indoors’ part. There is one place in our house (not counting the scary basement) where I can hula -- the exact center of the living room -- otherwise I hit stuff.