More Sommerers than you can shake a stick at.

More Sommerers than you can shake a stick at.

July 26, 2009

Journal

Did you know that there are Sommerers in northern Nebraska? You can try spraying for Sommerers, but we’re like carpenter ants – tough to kill.

Just kidding. Lloyd’s great-great-grandpa had a son that stayed in Missouri (where Lloyd’s family came from) and a son that came north of here to the Fremont, Nebraska area in the early part of the century, and that’s as far as I’m getting into the lineage story, because it’s so complicated it makes my head hurt.

This is Lloyd's great-grandpa.

They were just the nicest people you could ever meet, and, like their cousins to the south, they are excellent cooks. We had a potluck lunch that was so good you had seconds twice, and then we sat around and visited. Here’s something that I think is weird, coming (as I do) from a little family that never has big reunions – did you know that sometimes families elect officers and have official meetings? Both branches of the Sommerers do this, so maybe it’s something other large families do.

picnic

Nebraska Sommerer Family Picnic

26 Responses to “More Sommerers than you can shake a stick at.”

Do all the Sommerer men have thos awesome eyebrows? Because great-great-uncle-of-Lloyd even has them.

I think great-great aunt looks like Christina. Except as I recall, Christina is in color.

3. Lloyd Said on:

It also turns out that Jordan Larson (Nebraska Volleyball player Extraordinaire) and I are fourth cousins once removed. This was interesting, because Lincoln Lutheran played Logan View when she was in high school, and I actually saw her play a few times. She was so good that I remembered her name.

Her Grandmother, Marjorie Sommerer, was at least the 2nd nicest person there.

4. Lauren Said on:

Whoops. Turns out that it’s Lloyd’s great-grandma and grandpa. Told you that it made my head hurt.

I know practically nothing about my family, but they’re all sprinkled around up Seward, Colombus, Fremont, Norfolk way, so we’re probably related too: Hefflemans (sp?), Ostens, Fittjes, and many, many more.

Yay for traceable families! I love that picture of your great-great-great aunt & uncle. I don’t even have a picture of my grandfather, who died in 1936.

How fun to have another reunion! With good cooks…having 2nd’s twice (hehe)…but did you mean to say 2nds once removed?

7. Curt Said on:

I’ve been to family reunions where not only do they have officers they use Robert’s Rules of Order. Didn’t we used that in 4H? All in favor say “Aye”.

We used it in 4H too, but I learned it because we had school meetings at Honey Creek, where we elected officers (from the 8th graders) and decided things like what to do on the last day of school. I don’t remember when we stopped doing that, but I don’t recall doing that past 4th grade.

I see there are two dogs present for the reunion. Where are Cricket and Pfennig???

I was “the new guy”, and the new guy can’t do things like bring pets. Luckily, the bylaws also stipulate that the new guy can’t be elected to office.

9. christina Said on:

I can sorta understand why Mom wasn’t in the picture ( I assume she took the picture?) But why isn’t Dad at least in the picture? Or were they excluded because they don’t live in Nebraska?

10. Rae Said on:

How did you find these folks… I mean our family?

Is your red luau shirt also the official family reunion shirt?

They are just about the only thing I wear in the Summer. I did wonder if I should dress up a little more, but didn’t actually care that much.

Lauren did make another batch of Lloyd’s world famous pasta salad to bring along. Mom said that she heard some people saying they liked it, but I don’t know if we can trust that, because it seemed like maybe everyone knew what everyone else brought each year. The new dishes must have come from the new guys.

12. Julie Baker Said on:

Hi guys! I got a new net book and am back online!
    That man in the picture definately is a Sommerer…He looks very much like grandpa!!!

Hi, Julie -- nice to hear from you! What kind of netbook did you get?

• Julie Baker Said on:

It is a Notebook PC…I dont know what the difference between a note book and net boook are anyway! Its an ASPIRE ONE. I bought it off HNC.(TV)The mouse is taking so getting use to…I may end up buying a wireless mouse to use with it.
        The thing I like about it is I am the only one that uses it. When I’m fiished I fold it up and hide it!!!hahaahThat way other people (KIDS) dont get it cluttered up with their stuff. And change things on it!!!