Stranded at the drive-in

Stranded at the drive-in

August 4, 2009

School

It’s that time of year again for Home Visits. I drive to the homes of my students to bring some paperwork, meet the family, and take pictures of the children for their cubbies.

It’s also the time of year when I start using my truck again, and am shocked by how dirty it is. I seriously need to spend several meaningful minutes de-trashing the inside, and today I noticed how incredibly dirty it was on the outside. (That’s really saying something, considering I am truly gifted in the dirt-overlooking department.

Relax - I see that open window.  At least, I did once I started spraying the water.

So, after home visits I stopped at a car wash. I didn’t have enough money to use the cool automated part, so I had to do it by hand. That’s right, cheap-o eco-freak went somewhere and paid money to spray gallons and gallons of water on my vehicle, with my own hands.

Oh, the power! The wasteful, wasteful power!

What a rush.

17 Responses to “Stranded at the drive-in”

My sister in law uses a bucket, no soap and water. Maybe just a couple of gallons does the whole thing. But then again, she’s not lazy and washes regularly.

I thought for sure after reading the title, you were going to run out of gas somewhere. I’ve run out of gas ALOT! It’s not because I don’t have the money to get more gas, or I don’t feel like stopping (well, it is that ), but it’s mostly a challenge to me. Can I make it one more stop? Right after the library I’ll get it…made it…ok, right after McDonalds…and so on…is that weird?

BTW: My car still has sand in it from when my son took my car to Florida back in the beginning of June. Oy va! I HATE cleaning cars! HATE!

I haven’t washed my car since I bought it three years ago. Is there a reason that cars need to be washed? Does it increase gas mileage or anything?

They say you should wash the salt and the corrosive ice melting chemicals off your car (and under your car) after the snowy season.

4. beth (rachel's wife) Said on:

When I clean my vehicle at one of those quarter eating bays as it appears you did, I find it very difficult to resist the urge to jump into a stance and pretend the water wand is an assault rifle. Very fun and I figure it is good to entertain passers-by.

5. Curt Said on:

Your truck is red??? I could have sworn it was a different color.

6. Mark Said on:

Take solace, dear sister. If you truly only wash your truck every once in a blue moon, your per-day use of water is far lower than those who keep their vehicles spotless, even if they only use two or three gallons a week to do so.

Compared to them, it sounds like you used about a cup of water per day.

Besides, trucks were meant to be dirty.

To answer Brad’s question, it’s worth keeping your car clean if you do a lot of highway driving. And I mean a LOT. Dirt does affect wind resistance, which affects mileage. But then again, driving slower also affects wind resistance and therefore mileage. As does keeping tires inflated and engines/transmissions well maintained.

If you’re married, don’t wash your car. If you’re single, apply a second coat of wax when you’re done. No self-respecting date will get into a filthy car.

(Thus killeth this thread.)

7. Mark Said on:

Ummmm. WAX…not ‘was’. (Stupid fat fingers.)

8. Lucretia Rensberger Said on:

Even in the waiting of those of us fortuitous satisfactorily to be born with a imperfection vacant thickness, in the speed of time the effects of aging, childbirth and straight acuteness resolving start to second their toll.