Turtles and Chairs

Turtles and Chairs

August 15, 2009

Cheap, Lauren, School

I apologize for sounding like a martyr with the previous post, but I completely am one.

Let me tell you a couple highlights of Saturday. Work, work, work, work, then a Quick Trip to Lincoln* to go to Hobby Lobby for teacher supplies, because they’re closed on Sunday.

On the way there, there was a turtle crossing the highway. I drove past it, kept driving, then guilt grabbed the wheel and I turned around to make sure it was going to be ok. As I approached, I saw a driver going the opposite way do the exact same thing. We each stopped on the shoulders, watched our turtle friend cross safely, waved at each other, then turned around to go our separate ways. See – I’m not the only crazy person in the world.

In other news, I bought a new Comfy Chair for my room. Lloyd has been badgering me for years to replace it, but it’s tough to find a small, low, non-rocking, non-swiveling chair for a reasonable price (if you’re super-cheap like me). That Comfy Chair and its twin were purchased eleven years ago for the total price of ten bucks! I’d swap them out when the one in the classroom looked too ratty, and eventually my standard of ‘ratty’ sank lower and lower. It was time.

Good-bye, old friend.  Maybe some college student will love you.

I was fully prepared to cough up hundreds of dollars, but I stopped by Lincoln’s weirdest used furniture store (which I’ll have to post about someday), and got a great deal! Woo-hoo!

It has a couple of stains. My cleaner may have made it worse.

*(Hey Brad – round trip was 2 1/2 hours. Not bad, eh?)

13 Responses to “Turtles and Chairs”

Ha! I like your close-up shot. It looks like turtles.

Hey… I’ve got a question for you:
    Why did the turtle cross the road?

2. Lauren's dad Said on:

To see different harescape?

3. Annette Said on:

Throw a big colorful, multi-cultural print, (NAEYC Standard/Diversity-check!)comforter over the top. Pee/puke absorbant so it can be easily laundered, (NAEYC Standard/Health and Safety-check!) Oh, and if it swivels or rocks, that’s another NAECY Standard/Physical Development!

The BEST preschool teacher in the WORLD!--Check! You set the bar for the standard my friend!

4. Annette Said on:

Oh yeah, and if there are really turtles on the fabric, isn’t that NAEYC Science Standard??

I think it’s already (NAEYC Standard/Diversity-check!), because hasn’t NAEYC already recognized “little old lady” as a distinct ethnic group?

When you rescued the turtle, did you use your best Outback voice?

We always stop to rescue animals… and we also stopped once for a turtle in the middle of the road -- it was kind of big… as we approached it, it started snapping. Crikey…a snapping turtle, but what a beut! My son & his friend immediately got into character (Steve Irwin)& with the help of another passerby, we were able to get that snappy fella on a piece of cardboard & drag him to safety.

Nice chair! Enjoy your week!

6. Amy Said on:

why is there a Z on your wall? : )

7. Keren Lowell Said on:

I am totally impressed with your replacement chair! I got a little rejected loveseat/couch at the Salvation Army for my weaving studio, and felt so good because it’s a perfectly usable gorgeous thing. Gotta find the good things before people consign them to the dump!

I completely agree. I like getting used things, because then it’s not so tragic when something bad happens -- scratch, stain, etc. “Eh, it’s already old.”