God has good taste.

God has good taste.

August 19, 2009

School

So, in all my years of teaching preschool I’ve never actually seen* a monarch chrysalis up close & personal. One of my girls brought in a monarch caterpillar yesterday, and that was great, but I’ve seen* caterpillars before.

Today she brought in the chrysalis and HOLY COW! Golden?? Are you kidding me? How does that even happen? In the books we have, the illustrations show them as yellow dots. The real thing is pretty awesome.

Colors are not enhanced to look more golden-y.

* Side note: The word ‘seen’ is so mis-used here in the midwest (“I seen you at the store.”/”We seen you yesterday.”) that I am uncomfortable using it at all. I am using it correctly here. (deep breath) I am using it correctly here.

12 Responses to “God has good taste.”

1. Amy Said on:

that is so beautiful!!

I seen one of those before. The gold really is amazing.

Here’s something I learned recently: I’ve always thought the caterpillars on dill are Monarchs. They aren’t. They’re Black Swallowtails.

3. Lloyd Said on:

I couldn’t believe it when she showed it to me. I thought they had, very carefully, put glitter on it. They do that in pre-school. They put glitter on things.

I thought that the only thing that looked like gold in nature was gold. Who knew that butterflies could make gold.

Or… Do they steal the gold?

Gorgeous!!! I would love to see it in person.

This post reminds me of Brad’s favorite joke…except I forget it…it’s about a worm, right?

(I often say random things. The other day my son made one statement & I instantly followed up with a question which appeared to be totally unrelated. WHERE DID THAT COME FROM? he asked. It appears my brain works at lightning speed. We traced my thoughts from his statement to my question & it was about 6 things. ‘Six Degrees of Peggy’s Thoughts.’ And it was totally related. Just curious…you all do that, right? Right?)

And those swirly greens…

6. Rae Said on:

I hain’t never seen one of them before. Cool! 🙂

7. Lauren Said on:

Ok, that is just freaky. First watch this, then watch this to see it finish.