Dim is my friend

Dim is my friend

September 8, 2009

Lauren

I like dim lighting. Apparently it make Brad crazy to watch t.v. in the dark, and Lloyd needs to have the dining room light on when he’s on the computer (what – are we made of money?), but not me. Darkness is nice. Candles, nightlights, flashlights – all provide just the right amount of light.

Anyway, the point of this is to tell you about the lamp. Back when I was asking for paint suggestions (by the way, I haven’t bought any yet), I had to bring in a lamp from the guest room to try and light those paint samples. I had it out anyway, so I just left it on the counter.

I love it.

Whatca knowin?

Now when I come down in the morning, it’s me, the cereal, the internet and the lamp. Dim, cozy chomping.

Have any lighting preferences?

20 Responses to “Dim is my friend”

I love bright light. I think it’s because of my two years living in the apartment above the Ben Franklin in Seward. There were 4 windows in that place, but they weren’t in the living room or the bedroom. Those rooms were like a cave.

Right now, I have 3 lights on in the room, two of them have 5 bulbs each. All of which are lit. Don’t worry, Lauren, they’re CFL bulbs. 🙂

Bright light for me. When I come home, I turn on all the lights and leave them on until I go to bed. Light! Light!

Incandescent. Only. Soft, yellow light.

I hate, hate, hate fluorescent lighting…
    hate…flames…flames…on the side of my face…breathing…breath…

• Brad Said on:

How can we be related? I love the bright, cool light of fluorescent bulbs. If I could install office-style banks of fluorescent lighting in all the rooms of my house, I would.

Incandescent light is sad and sleepy light. Fluorescent is bright and happy.

• Curt Said on:

I really don’t like the incandescent light, especially the yellow. For me it makes differentiating colors more difficult. Sunlight is by far the best to pick out colors.

Beth, I have some incandescent bulbs that are still good. You want them? I figured you will need them since they burn out after a few months because of all the electricity they burn.

• Beth Said on:

Fluorescent lighting is stark and institutional. It’s like living in a hospital. Gack.

And yes, Curt I’ll take those bulbs. They last much longer than a few months in my house. In fact in the upstairs vanity lights, I have 3 bulbs I haven’t changed since we moved in. 6 years ago.

Incandescents get a bad rap.

Bright. I don’t have enough light in my living room. I think it’s because I don’t have a nice, loud overhead light.

I think I said bright. And something about my dim living room. And then I forgot to submit comment? If I didn’t forget, and this is a double, delete this one. If I did forget, then this comment is a little odd. But I’m a little tired. forgive me!

When I saw the first picture, before reading anything, I went Ahhh….that looks so nice! And then as I read you’re discription of ‘dim lightings’ I was like…yes, yes, yes, oh YES!

So I’m definately dim (hehe)!! LOVE IT!! And I hate fluorescent lighting too…it’s so unnatural! Dim lighting is peaceful, calming, relaxing!

What lovely ambiance. The lamp beside the computer reminds of a hotel lobby, where the clerk registers you. It’s so calming and peaceful… a perfect work station or place to waste time. 🙂

9. Rae Said on:

I’m a dim watt. (tee hee) Actually I am probably on the bright side. (Now I sound like I am bragging.) Really I like things bright. But my fav is natural lite. (Oh no, now I am talking beer.) I like SUN light!!! 🙂 Who knew talking light could be so much fun!

Here’s my dilemma: I want to do good things for the environment, so I bought compact fluorescents… years ago. Some people hate them (Beth’s comment)…

Worse, I just discovered they have mercury and I have to go out of my way to get rid of them. http://www.backpacker.com/compact_fluorescents/blogs/green_scene/1281

What do you do, Lauren, icon of laziness? Do you lazily do a terrible thing and just chuck ’em? Or do you gently save them until you can expend all of the energy it takes to dispose of them properly?

Beth, if Lauren’s house (and Curt’s… and mine) is full of these things, how do you manage?

• Beth Said on:

Lauren’s house is usually dim. Despite Brad’s love for bright lighting, his house is usually dim, at least his bedroom is, and that’s where I sleep when I visit.
      Curt’s house is really just full of natural lighting. He has his windows basically uncovered when I’m ever there.

I can exist in fluorescent lighting. Afterall, I’m a teacher, and I don’t know of a school that doesn’t have those awful fluorescent lights in classrooms. I just hate it.

11. Michele Said on:

If it were up to my kids the house would be pitch black when we watched TV.
    Tonight when I watch GLEE (yeah Glee is on) it won’t matter bright or dim because I will be watching GLEE!!!! Did I mention that Glee is on tonight?

12. Amy Said on:

I agree, I hate fluorescent. I refuse to use them unless I have to. I like to watch movies with a small light on, so that I can be distracted by other things. Dim lighting is soothing, but bright light can be energizing!

13. Lauren's mom Said on:

I really like night lights1 I have lots of natural light, compact fluorescent, incandescent, regular fluorescent,etc. in my house, but I have several night lights that serve well after the sun goes down or early in the morning. They get me where I need to go and save money. You are right, Lauren. Dim is my friend, too!

Looks like the dims have it!

15. Deborah Said on:

I like very dim in the mornings. I like to take my morning shower in the dark. I know where everything is, so why turn on a light?