An outlet for his frustration.

An outlet for his frustration.

November 29, 2009

Home 'Improvement'

Lloyd has neatness issues when it comes to electrical cables and cords. Well, it has bothered him for some time that all my computer stuff has been plugged into an outlet in the kitchen and looks so messy. Yeah, that’s what people would notice in our house – the messy cables.

A computer, a lamp, a panel heater and its switch.  oh, and a stick a'butter.

Anyway, he decided this weekend was the time to fix it, and bought some stuff at Home Depot to devalue the house install a new outlet.

I helped by taking pictures, and by making sure he didn’t electrocute himself. That was hard to do when I was napping.

The project was derailed by several hours because the original outlet he wanted to steal power from is on the same circuit as our microwave, which likes to freak out and trip the breaker every so often. Lloyd’s second choice was an outlet in the basement, and just as he was about to commence electic’n, I reminded him that that particular outlet was connected to the light switch to the basement.

Yeah.  The cables are the messiest thing in the basement.

We decided to just chance it with the microwave.

Holes were cut, cord was run, outlet was attached, blah, blah, blah. I got to be in charge of the hole saw, which – let’s face it – is the best part.

Two layers of countertop, can you believe it?

I think it turned out splendidly, despite the things that I did wrong. (Look at the bottom right of the outlet in the top photo. See that big chunk of missing cabinet? That’s my fault.)

They go down to a power strip.

It should always look this neat and tidy.    ....Ha!

Way to go, Lloyd. I guess you are an electrician by birthright.

18 Responses to “An outlet for his frustration.”

1. Amy Said on:

Hahahahahah ๐Ÿ™‚ this post was awesome. I hope I get to be in charge of the Hole Saw someday…

Amy

2. Vile Spambot Said on:

Hi this is a nice looking blog, I was just looking for this the other day. Glad I finally found what I wanted.

It sounds like it’s time for a new microwave! Woo hoo!

That hole saw is awesome! How do you refrain from making a cool design of holes in all your walls?

5. Lonnie Tinnine Said on:

Hi, I have accidently found this blog while browsing on Google as I’m seeking some material on electric cellos!. I think it’s an informative blog so I have bookmarked this site and I will revisit you another day to have a more indepth browse when I’m more free.

• Brad Said on:

Lonnie! I’ve been meaning to call you. I have that money I owe you for the electric cello you gave me. Send me a text when you get a chance.

I like your Little Giant.

And that countertop is beautiful. Cord-free beauty.

No wireless mouse? I’m shocked!!!!

We actually have a wireless mouse for Lauren, but it was knocked off the counter so often that we went back to the corded variety.

8. Lauren's dad Said on:

Sometimes when we close the microwave door, the iMac wakes up, and they are NOT even on the same circuit. So, there you go.

Arron saw the picture with your knife set and immediately said, “Oh! They’re able to have their knives facing the right way. I miss that.” We’ve had to have our knives turned backward for nearly a year now, because Anna can reach them with the help of her handy stool. ๐Ÿ™

You’re not sending her to a knife skills preschool? Good grief, the first things we cover are dicing and mincing. Next week we’re learning how to julienne.

10. Lauren's dad Said on:

Wrong! But it’s the microwave that growls!

11. Elbert Ralph Said on:

Hey there I love how you are running this blog. I just started a blog of my own