Terrible Memories With Lauren

Terrible Memories With Lauren

December 12, 2009

Drawings, Journal

It’s late, we need a post, so how’s this: Terrible Christmas Program Memories. I have two.

First: I was….. 11? 12? and was picked – out of the three other girls my age in our congregation – to sing Mary’s solo. While flattered, this was my first time singing in front of people and I was terrified. I figured it wouldn’t be so bad if I couldn’t see the people, so I took off my glasses. So, here I was – a shaking, myopic Mary – sitting on a hay bale so I wouldn’t tower over the 6-year-old Joseph at my side. Awesome. Just awesome.

Second: I wasn’t actually in the program for this one, and I must have been – 6? 7? Anyway, we sat behind a woman who wore a TON of perfume and apparently I’m allergic. My eyes were swollen and teary, and I later I was too distracted by my constantly runny nose to appreciate the fantastic Barbie kitchen that Santa brought. I couldn’t help it – my head was melting.

Ah, Christmas programs as a child. Full of terror, tears, and “Slow down! You’re talking too fast! Speak up!”

16 Responses to “Terrible Memories With Lauren”

I don’t have any terrible Christmas program memories. I barely have any Christmas program memories at all. I do remember that we had two full programs because there were so many kids in the school. And what was really bad was that we opened presents on Christmas Eve, and we had to wait for both programs to be over before we could open presents.

2. Lloyd Said on:

I don’t have any bad Christmas program memories, I do remember one teacher saying to another teacher, “Has Lloyd ever just said the line the way it was written?”

In late elementary/middle school, I was always Mary. And I got to sing a solo in the Quempas carol. And I loved that. But those are both good memories…

I don’t like Beef Stew. It stems from the torture of being “made” to eat it after the Christmas program while we waited for Santa to leave. Because apparently we always showed up at home when Santa had just arrived. So we had to eat stew and wait for them him.

Our 5th grade class put on a Christmas play and I was in the group of kids that sang songs during the show. I LOVE to sing!! The stupid teacher went around during practices & told me and one other kid to lip sync. Not kidding. Oh the scars.

And when my son Joe was about 5, he was a shepherd in a church play & right during the middle of it he shouted out….’Mom, I’m hot in this…can I take it off.” I was in the 2nd row. Everyone laughed. (I grimmaced as I shook my head ‘No’.)

GO ARMY

(I’m well aware that they will get clobbered, but…)

6. Christina Said on:

In 7th grade I had a whole paragraph to recite during the Christmas program and lost my voice the week of Christmas. I wasn’t allowed to talk during school for the two days before we got out of school.

Did we go to school on Christmas Eve back then? Seems like we were practicing right up to the end. My kids get out the entire week of Christmas and the week between Christmas and New Years.

7. Charles Said on:

Did anyone else have to dress up as Martin Luther for a Christmas program? I was in 8th grade and had a rather akward costume -- didn’t get the monk haircut but in hindsight that might have taken some of the focus off of the costume!

8. Lauren Said on:

Ha! I clicked on the “You might like these similar posts” link and it turns out I’ve told you guys all my stories already. *sigh*

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Philosophical Time With Lauren | LloydAndLauren.com - November 1, 2010

[…] to be in front of people. I would rather die than have to have many eyes on me. I believe I relived a story like that for you. Same in high school, same in college. I liked to sing, but definitely wasn’t solo […]