Hello, dementia.

Hello, dementia.

December 14, 2009

Lauren

For the final Christmas party of the weekend I decided to bake up some cheese straws. (We are able to use the oven again. We’ve just left the storage drawer out for any future unplugging.) I’ve never had cheese straws, and I have to say – they turned out pretty well. I followed this recipe, which is decidedly better written and photographed than anything I can give you.

They taste like Goldfish crackers with a little spicy kick.

A note: When the recipe calls for 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes and you know you don’t have any in the house, you can use a leftover packet of red pepper flakes that Charles Gebhardt left in your house five years ago, found under a box of hot cocoa mix. It contains exactly 1/2 a teaspoon.

Anyway, this story isn’t about the cheese straws, although it’s sure lookin’ that way, isn’t it? It’s about carefully wrapping the unused portion of cheese and putting it away, then a good while later putting all the plastic wrap and such back in the drawer.

Um.

Good grief.

12 Responses to “Hello, dementia.”

Ha! That reminds me of a time in high school when I thought hard boiling eggs preserved them. I got an egg at John’s house for Easter dinner and kept it in my desk drawer for a week, then ATE IT! AAHHH! It tasted funny, but being an ignorant kid, I kept eating it, thinking it was just a weird egg or something.

Speaking of eggs… Once I bought a 2 dozen package of eggs at the store -- and then carried it down to the basement. To my credit, there was a package of paper towels on top of the eggs and those needed to be in the basement. Two months later… Fortunately the eggs were shrink wrapped so they didn’t smell as much as they could have.

Well. You are almost FORTY.

4. Deborah Said on:

Charles saves the day!

5. Rae Said on:

Wow, Lauren! I knew I loved you for a reason… I do very similar things. I just don’t document them with pictures and narrative. 🙂

I LOVE Goldfish crackers! Maybe I’ll try these straws, but it seems like alot of work.

(once we found a hard boiled egg in a tupperware container in the basement of our 1st house…months after we moved in. I guess we were snacking on them??? Anyway the whole egg was like rubber…even the shell. No one ate it…but we did play basketball with it)

I still have fajita seasoning that Charles gave us before they moved far, far away.

When I was dating Leonardo, we went to his house and I did what I often do -- head to the fridge for a drink of juice or something. Later that day, I couldn’t find my keys. Looked everywhere. Freaked out. Went to the fridge for some more juice to drown my sorrows.

Uh, yeah. I guess I hadn’t looked in the FRIDGE for my keys.

Welcome to the ‘Dementia Club’ Lauren. We’ve been waiting for you!

10. Keren Lowell Said on:

Wow -- your kitchen drawers are so clean, and I mean on the inside! I don’t know if I can go into mine without feeling all icked out. I’ll send you a picture of my saran wrap drawer for fun sometime soon!

This one is only clean because it’s usually so jam-packed full of waxed paper, foil, plastic wrap, parchment and baggies (along with little pieces of the above that I can’t bear to throw out) that junk just can’t find the bottom of the drawer.