Reading is hard.

Reading is hard.

February 28, 2010

Cooking

Happy Birthday, Charles!

So….. I was making a big ol’ batch of chili the other day so that we’d have food around the house, and made a tiny, yet terrible mistake. Usually I dump in a packet of chili seasoning, but I was out. I shook in some chili powder, then some ground cumin….. mmmmmm…..is someone making a cobbler?

*gasp*

Dang it! That’s not cumin!!

Drat those McCormick spices and their similar bottles and fonts!

Cinnamon - so rich and aromatic, scooping it out wil not help one bit.

9 Responses to “Reading is hard.”

1. Amy Said on:

oh no! did it turn out ok??

One of my co-workers says her husband adds cinnamon to meat dishes on purpose. Maybe you could just pretend you did it intentionally…

“That Lauren… She is so avant garde!”

3. deanne Said on:

Cincinnati chili always has cinnamon. We make a version of this, and it’s served with spaghetti!

4. Deborah Said on:

I’ve also heard of cinnamon in chili. Did you eat it?
    Charles is on his way back from an ALSS conference today, but he thanks you for the birthday wish.

I’m very curious to know how it tasted.

Lloyd: _______________________________
    Lauren: ______________________________

Try these next.

I thought it was good. I like Lauren’s normal chili better, but I would eat this again. In fact, there’s some more in the freezer, so I will eat it again. It had more of a “Southern” flavor than normal, but I really couldn’t taste the cinnamon as a separate ingredient.

Oh…and Happy Birthday Charles! Are you another one turning the big 4-0?

7. Lauren Said on:

My comment went bye-bye, and I’m not retyping it. Too bad, because it was really, really well-written. Pulitzer-prize-winning kind of comment.