Fill me up, Buttercup.

Fill me up, Buttercup.

May 2, 2010

Cheap, Eco-Freaky

Lloyd had to go to a conference this week and while packing his travel stuff, he saw that his little tube of toothpaste was empty.

Lloyd: “I’ll need to get another one, unless you want to refill this one.”

Then he chuckled, like it was funny. Then he got quiet, and looked at me fearfully.

Lloyd: “You’re going to do it, aren’t you?”

Of course I was going to do it, and I did it.

Let’s all get past the ‘mama bird barfing into the mouth of the baby bird’ imagery that this conjures up, and congratulate me on getting .85 ounces into that little tube without squirting 2.3 ounces all over our hideously pink countertop. It was surprisingly easy, and while I might try it once again, I think that after two refills the integrity of the smaller tube might suffer and burst along one of the sides. Only time will tell.

This isn't empty by my standards.  He could have used this for a few more trips.

There are no awards for being crazy.  Except that giant Oscar I keep in the basement.

9 Responses to “Fill me up, Buttercup.”

Is toothpaste sterile? If it’s not sterile anymore, is there some sort of issue, or is toothpaste self-cleaning like soap is?

2. Lloyd Said on:

For the record, the problem was not that the tube of toothpaste was empty. It was sort of hard.

Are you allowed to mix toothpaste brands?

4. Mark Said on:

Here’s a little travel tip. Tupperware offers a set of 6 very small, round little container (about 1.5″ across) with those ‘burp’ lids. They are perfect for holding two or three days of whatever (shampoo, hair gel, toothpaste) as well as OTC medicines like aspirin. You can wash them out after each use, making them very eco-friendly and sane compared to buying (or REFILLING) sample size personal care products.

The lids are great and do a fantastic job of keeping stuff inside the container.

• Christina Said on:

OH! I have one of those in my purse with alieve in it! I got it as a hostess gift a long time ago and always wondered if I could get more. Who knew you were a tupperware man, Mark!

5. Lauren Said on:

Reply to all:
    Brad: Go ‘way, little black raincloud.
    Lloyd: The record stands corrected.
    Beth: Sorry.
    Peggy: I use tiny little pieces of soap until they are molecules of soap. I’m crazy, remember?
    Kristi: I think a toothpaste parfait would be extremely interesting!
    Mark: Why do you have to post links to irresistibly adorable little things to buy?!?

Just because: Why is irresistibly so hard to spell?

6. Keren Lowell Said on:

I never thought of refilling the travel toothpaste tubes! The little tiny shampoo bottles, yes. The lotion bottles, yes. But now I have no need to do any travel shopping ever. Except for the little deoderants….unless….