A bucket o' Kool-Aid

A bucket o’ Kool-Aid

June 10, 2010

Journal

We’ve been having VBS at church this past week, and it makes me nostalgic for my own Vacation Bible School days. The two big memories that stick out are 1) those boxes of craft supplies that we would get from CPH, which even at such a young age seemed so strange. (“This is filled with popsicle sticks? and I have to share?”) and 2) the Kool-Aid.

The best thing about the Kool-Aid was making Kool-Aid. Our church had a giant enamelware bucket that we would stir it up in, and I’m sure we had the flavor/sugar/water ratio all wrong because all we cared about was making a giant purple ocean and creating a swirling vortex with a wooden spoon.

I haz a memoree bukkit.

Or, it could be I’m imagining the whole thing. I have a terrible memory, y’know.

9 Responses to “A bucket o’ Kool-Aid”

1. Keren Lowell Said on:

Wait. How about the rhinestones? Do you remember any craft project (maybe a crown) that had glittery stones or maybe just glitter? What about the cookies? Chocolate sandwich ones with little stars of frosting? Is my memory also bad?

Mmmmm….. the sandwich cookies…… I also remember having the snack table out in the yard once. That was like double heaven.

VBS crafts rock! I LOVED them.

I don’t remember drinking Kool-Aid though. Of course, I wasn’t in Colorado. I was in Tennessee. If I had to guess (which I would, because my memory is bad too) I would say we had some kind of orange drink.

My VBS memories are all superceded by just one:

I was in 5th grade and my friend Marti asked me to go to her VBS with her at First Baptist Church in downtown Knoxville. It was easily the biggest church in the city -- maybe a membership of 15K? Anyway. The crafts were awesome, but most importantly, during the closing service the preacher did an altar call for anyone wanting to be baptized. And Marti got up and left me to go speak with the people about arranging her baptism. She left me there in that giant church where I knew absolutely NO ONE else, on the last day of VBS.

I don’t remember how I found my ride. I only remember the panic.

4. Gretchen Said on:

I still appreciate the hard work of some very frugal ladies at our church VBS who would take the regular ol’ paper napkins and cut them along the fold lines so that each kid only had a one-ply napkin. After all, why waste a 4-ply napkin when a kid will use his shirt to wipe off that kool-aid mustache??

Oh, and on the last day we always got an ice cream novelty.

At our VBS is was cool when you got to around the 3rd grade level because then the craft became something that took the whole week to construct and it was awesome! I also remember loving the songs… No one told me to stop singing there.

And one of my favorite parts was going outside afterwards while the parents cleaned up & catching lightning bugs (and letting them go of course!).

6. Deborah Said on:

My VBS memories are filled with snack time also. Oreos and red Kool-Aid. A little piece of heaven.

Because I have such fond memories of snack time, I am now the snack lady at our VBS. It’s the most appreciated job.

• Peggy Said on:

I’m usually on the decortating committee and snacks but I’ve done the story, which I really get into. But one year a little girl cried.

7. Steve Said on:

http://www.woot.com/ -- The perfect decoration for your backyard.