Water always wins

Water always wins

June 27, 2010

Bad ideas, Lauren

We’ve had some giant black ants invading the kitchen, and the traps didn’t seem to be working. Lloyd was on a rampage to get all surfaces clear of Ant Attractants, and even went so far as to pull the fridge out so we could clean back there. Unfortunately, when we pushed the fridge back, we ran over the ice maker hose. Nobody noticed until the leak until the next morning, when there was water all over the floor that had also leaked down into the basement.

Do you mind? I'm working here.

Lloyd fixed it with his hereditary plumbing skills (thanks, Lloyd), and while he was behind the fridge, he found a small yellow Ant Attractant.

The milk chocolate melts in ants' mouths.

Ants do not care for candy coating.

8 Responses to “Water always wins”

That M&M is so cool. It makes me want to leave other foods out for ants to see what they eat and what they leave behind. You don’t mind if I run a few experiments in your kitchen, do you?

2. Annette Said on:

I seem to recall a similar experience with a water line, altho that time you couldn’t miss the “leak” while it was power washing the freshly painted wall! Again, Lloyd to the rescue!

3. Mark Said on:

Put that University of Phoenix degree to work again, didn’t he? We’re going to have to stop referring to him as Crazy Uncle Lloyd and start using the title “A-MAZING Uncle Lloyd!”

4. elizabeth Said on:

This reminds me of one of my favorite stories my dad tells.

In college he and his friend rented rooms in a house owned by two .. hygienically-impaired brothers. The house was a mess (basically, frat house functional) with broken furniture and food stamp wallpaper.

Anyway, one day they’re sitting in the living room and there’s a box of Snickers on the coffee table. It had been there a long time and my dad’s friend was either quite bored or hungry. He picked up this unopened box of Snicker bars to find that it was surprisingly light and completely empty! All of the wrappers were sealed, but over the years ants had gone into the box and removed all of the candy from the wrappers and left the wrappers and the box in place.

5. Kitt Said on:

Cool!

M&M’s were popular at my old office. One day a cow-orker lifted up a bin under her desk and discovered a giant pile of M&M husks and shards. Like ants, mice seem to prefer only the chocolate, too.

Which makes me wonder what’s in that coating and should we really be eating it.

Hey -- congrats on your marriage!! I tried to leave a comment on your site, but it kept goofing up.

(You all should go see her wedding picture -- she looks awesome!)

I laughed out loud at the picture of Lloyd & the caption!

CRAZY ants and their sweet tooths mandibles.

And now this song will be in my head all day: Sing along

7. Kitt Said on:

Hey, thanks! I feel awesome.