The summer of money

The summer of money

July 22, 2010

Journal

So, it’s a good thing this isn’t the smellernet, or you’d be knocked right off your keyboards.

We need a new dishwasher. We’ve actually needed one for quite some time. Some thingamajig has stopped processing the food remnants, and every so often it smells like something has crawled in there and died a slow, watery death. The very worst it smelled was the day we got back from Missouri – when Denis was visiting. I was mortified! Luckily they were over at Brent’s when we came home, so they didn’t witness my running all over the house trying to figure out where raw sewage was making its way inside. (Really – it’s that bad.)

I sent Brad a text to let him know that I knew it was awful.

The second worst it’s ever smelled would be now – right before Lloyd’s parents are coming for a visit. That is totally, totally awesome and not at all embarrassing.

I’ve tried everything – vinegar, alcohol, baking soda, straight bleach (which makes a lovely noxious gas cloud of its own), and short of taking it apart*, I think it’s just time for a new one.

12 Responses to “The summer of money”

Did you try pouring gasoline in there? I bet that would take care of the food smell.

*Deborah, what does she mean by that?

• Deborah Said on:

Sorry to leave you hanging, but I couldn’t get to your website for a couple days.
      My dishwasher was not getting my dishes clean, so after school was out for the summer I decided to examine it. I noticed that the trap for bones/glass/etc. was gunky so I yanked it out. Then I noticed that the thingamajig underneath was gunky, so I yanked it out. Then I noticed that the doohicky around that was super gunky, so, trying not to dry heave, I yanked it out. Then I noticed that the whatchamacallit underneath that was toxic gunky, so, with a surgical mask over my face, I yanked it out. Then I soaked everything in vinegar and dumped vinegar and baking soda in the remaining gunky hole in the dishwasher. It bubbled its magic and cleaned everything up. With everything ready to go, I needed to put everything back. Then, SHUCKS!, I couldn’t remember which part went where. About then my girls came to investigate and ask a lot of questions. “What are you doing?” “I don’t know.” “What is this?” “That’s the doohicky.” “Where does it go?” “I don’t know.” Then I sent them to watch t.v. while I searched on the interwebs. I found a phone number from Sears and called it and the nice lady helped me out. I got it back together and it works beautifully.

3. christina Said on:

For a quick fix, you might try pouring some lemon juice in there….that’s what they say to do when your garbage disposal smells bad. I got some of the new Jet-Dry diswasher cleaner (to clean the dishwasher, not the dishes) and now my dishwasher is all sparkly again…it might work for this as well.

4. Lloyd Said on:

Anyone have dishwasher recommendations?

5. Lauren's dad Said on:

If Lauren dries, perhaps you could wash?

6. Keren Said on:

Just unhook the old one and install the new one.