Old Timey

Old Timey

August 6, 2010

Lloyd

I saw this link a few days ago, and thought I’d share it because it has photos of Delta Colorado, where Lauren grew up and from Lincoln Nebraska, where she likes to shop.

These images, by photographers of the Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information, are some of the only color photographs taken of the effects of the Depression on America’s rural and small town populations. The photographs are the property of the Library of Congress and were included in a 2006 exhibit Bound for Glory: America in Color.

It is for horses.

About Lloyd

Lloyd Sommerer is a middle/high school teacher who likes to build websites, read books, grow beards, make fun of Lauren’s prototypes and eat the sauce of the picante.

9 Responses to “Old Timey”

1. Keren Said on:

I saw these photos on a link on Facebook! I was gobsmacked to see the photos taken in Delta. Did you see the one of the peaches on the tractor bed?

My short attention span made looking at all these pictures difficult. I stopped at 32. Maybe I’ll finish later. For the benefit of others: 24 and 25 are Delta pictures.

My favorite picture so far is 6. I wish all news was written like that -- short and to the point.

I liked #54 and #66. Look at their fingernails. 😀

4. Lauren Said on:

Woo-hoo for Delta! Those peaches are some of the best grown in the country -- right, Keren?

Beth, I was also amazed by the fingernails of those women -- especially the ladies in 54. Grubby as all get out, but her nails are pink, by golly.

Cool post, Lloyd. Thanks!

That last photograph is AMAZING! And maybe I’m bias, but I really like the ones of the Chicago railyards. 🙂

I looked at them all! Very cool! Whenever I look at old pictures like these, it always makes me wonder what future people will say & what they’ll laugh at when they look at old photos from the 2010 era.

I especially like the ‘orchestra’ in picture #14 and that one boy sleeping in #15 is a dead ringer for Tim I think….arm up and everything.

I had to look up what roundhouse wipers were. Didn’t they have hoses back then? Dang.

7. Lauren's mom Said on:

Realizing that I am old, I remember….

Riding to school on the “running board” (outside the car) on one of the cars like in the second picture. (No seat belts there!)

Having a lemonade stand to earn enough money to go to the pool. The folks didn’t foot the bill. Probably 50 cents each.

No one had air conditioning or TV.

I remember my grandmother’s first telephone. I even remember the number.. 3-6854. A big deal.

I guess I could go on and on. I loved the pictures!

I was just at a home visit in an old home with no air conditioning. God bless air conditioning!! I would have made a terrible Depression-era citizen.

8. Lauren's dad Said on:

#15 Kids just a little older than I in 1939 or 1940.