Aprons & me.

Aprons & me.

February 27, 2011

Cooking, Journal

I admit it – I like to wear an apron. It’s not that I’m a great chef, it’s that I’m a terrible mess. I spill and splatter stuff like you can’t believe while cooking, so having one on has saved many shirts from oil disasters. I leave it on while eating, too, so it’s like I’m wearing a giant bib.

That feather duster never gets used.

I have four. A Christmas one from my mom, a stripey one that I love the most, and two cheap-o white ones that have been the victims of various iron-on experiments. (One was for my preschool’s Potato Bake and one was testing a word puzzle for when Beth was pregnant.)

Do you get it? Well, if it weren't backwards?

Another plus of wearing one? In cold weather it’s like wearing a blanket for your front.

10 Responses to “Aprons & me.”

It seems like wearing an apron would be kind of cool because it’s like a superhero cape that’s on backwards.

I think it’s interesting that the only letter that doesn’t look the same forwards and backwards on that one apron is ‘E’. In fact, there aren’t too many other symmetrical letters besides those, are there?
    I M O U V X are the only others. Could you write a sensical phrase using only symmetrical letters?

• Gretchen Said on:

I used to teach at a school called HATHAWAY BROWN. When I wore my school T-shirt it said “YAWAHTAH” which I thought would make a great name for a summer camp. The school ran a day camp during the summer and I suggested that they rename it YAWAHTAH but no one listened.

• Gretchen Said on:

What I meant to say was when I was wearing that shirt and looked in the MIRROR it said YAWAHTAH. I really wish I could retract comments or at least edit them for clarity.

Comment from one who gets stains on her shirt 🙁

Although I’d like to wear an apron, because it would make me feel all chefy, I don’t care for extra clothing or things around my neck. If I was a man, I just might cook shirtless. Cook, sponge off,put shirt back on, eat.

I may reconsider the whole apron thing though now that I see how many uses they have:

4. Rae Said on:

I’m am of the same thought as Peggy; I’d like to wear and apron, but it just doesn’t feel comfortable. I have borrowed an old buttoned shirt of Sam’s before and placed that over what I was wearing, to keep it clean. That worked better for me. But I have found memories of my mom in her ‘Sunday best,’ protectively covered with an apron, making the best dinners… Mom, I’ll be home on Sunday for dinner!

5. Jill Said on:

Hey Lloyd, if you were in the market for a netbook to be purchased at BestBuy (shudder), Target, or Sam’s, what would you get? I’ve looked at a lot of online reviews and I THINK I know what I want, but…you and computers are besties. Can you pleeeease help a girl out?? Thanks!

March 1, 2011:
    The Seward Sommerer internet connection is down.

That is all.