Church of Mail

Church of Mail

March 16, 2011

Journal

Last Saturday I needed to mail some stuff, but we were already in Lincoln. After dropping Lloyd off at his auction I drove to where I though a post office was, but it wasn’t there. Darn aliens.

I stopped at a store and asked where it was, and the very helpful lady gave me some vague directions and instead of asking for more details and – heaven forbid – writing it down, I just smiled, thanked her, and walked out without really remembering what she said.

Darn me.

I drove and drove and wasted some gas and finally stopped at another place and said, “I know there’s a post office around here but I can’t find it.” Fortunately that lady did not tell me that I was already standing in it, but gave wonderfully clear directions that told how to cross the street to find it.

It was worth it.

It was like standing in a greenhouse cathedral.

Seward’s post office is nice and small-town-quaint, but this place was gorgeous. I wish I would have taken more pictures, but maybe next time.

Who’s kidding who? I’ll never find it again.

6 Responses to “Church of Mail”

Were you even in Nebraska anymore? Maybe you made a quick stop… in the Twilight Zone. (This last sentence is meant to be said in Rod Serling’s voice.)

Love the title! That is quite the building. And it’s all for mail???

Beautiful building! I believe one day there will be no more Post Offices or letter carriers. Everything will done via computer. Maybe this Post Office forsees this as well & designed the building to be sold to a church when the time comes.

Lauren, I thought you might like this:

4. Jill Said on:

I wish you knew where that one was. I hate going to the PO, but would totally go if it looked like that. Maybe the kids and I will have to make some PO field trips to find that one. Lamest field trip ever.

5. Deborah Said on:

I think you should live there.

6. Lauren Said on:

Replying to all:

Brad: It was very citified and reminded me of how going to the post office in Maryland was quite the ordeal. Nobody was happy.

Kristi: Thanks, and I KNOW!!!!

Peggy: *gasp!* I just died of cuteness.

Jill: As near as I can tell, it is just north of 14th and Highway 2. You turn on some road that starts with a ‘C’ and it’s hidden by trees whenever I look at it.

Deborah: Don’t think I didn’t think that.