And the dome light still doesn't work.

And the dome light still doesn’t work.

October 24, 2011

Journal

Let’s play a game!

Guess how much it cost to fix the truck!

Thank goodness I cleaned it out this weekend.

I’ll give you a couple of hints:

It’s more than $1,892,

but it’s less than $1,894.

Enter your guess below.

This thing had all kinds of stuff wrong with it. For years the interior lights haven’t worked, it revs out of control at stop signs and occasionally idles at 25 mph, I don’t have heat in the winter and then there was this whole shaking-on-and-off when I drove it last week.

The guy said the main problem was probably the suspension, and said he’d look into the other problems. When he called Lloyd to get the go-ahead for fixing things, he found out that we have done practically nothing to this vehicle in the 12 years we’ve owned it. (It’s just our old truck. I use it to drive back and forth to work and haul things when they need haulin’.)

Craig: “Well, it looks like the coolant has never been changed?”

Lloyd: “Nope. Go ahead.”

Craig: “And these seem to be the original spark plugs?”

Lloyd: “Yep, do what you have to.”

Craig: “Your suspension is going to need new sway bar links.”

Lloyd: “Yep.”

Craig: “My kids have really been pestering me for some of those new iPads….”

Lloyd: “Do what you have to, Craig. iPads all ’round.”

Merry Christmas, Craig’s family. Sorry for neglecting you for so long, little truck.

11 Responses to “And the dome light still doesn’t work.”

Wait… You’re supposed to change the coolant? AND the spark plugs? My truck is going to be six years old this April. What would Craig have me do?

Page 2 of the 6-page report says, “Spark Plug Condition -- moderate wear noted. Coolant Condition -- coolant appears old.”

It think Craig would say, “I’m going to need some accessories for those iPads….”

Is Lloyd sad about that money not going into his Prius fund?

3. Lauren's dad Said on:

Pretty reasonable for a 12-year-old truck! How many miles has it gone? My 11-year-old truck has 113,000+ miles on it and it’s still running fine; had coolant, hoses and fuel pump changed, but don’t remember the costs. Mom’s Subaru was rear-ended—a three-inch long ding (hole) in that high-tensile strength plastic bumper cover — $780. A catalytic converter and transmission oil change last spring was about the same. Cheaper than a new one, even than a Prius.

Hilarious dialogue!!! And if you think of this payment amount divided over the last 12 years, it comes to $157.75 per year maintainence. That’s not so bad.

AND your truck looks really good….so shiny! I think looks are what really counts anyway, not what’s under the hood.

5. Mark Said on:

We just picked up our truck. It’s been maintained on a fairly (*ahem*) regular schedule, but this time the bill was similar to yours. Grab handle. Fixed. Nonfunctioning power door lock. Fixed. Oil & filter change. Yep. Replace the ball joints. OUCH!! Oh, and apparently there are still about a half-dozen “fix soon” issues.

It’s still cheaper than a new truck.

6. Lauren Said on:

What gets me is how it’s total non-fun spending. We blew almost two thousand bucks and got back the exact same vehicle. The least they could have done is put some glitter on it or something.

7. Mark Said on:

Yeah, a nice wash, wax and buff would be the repair equivalent of a nice kiss goodnight…or breakfast in bed.