Jars and Socks - part one

Jars and Socks – part one

January 30, 2012

Journal

I’m having a Smartwool sock crisis. I love those socks so, so much, but after a few years of wearing, they are starting to come apart. Like Brad, my toes wear through, and I’m also starting to blow out the heel on a few pairs. It pains me to get rid of them, partly due to the (expected) loss of a loved one, but mostly because they are so dang expensive to replace.

On Sunday I actually threw out one sock that had an irreparable hole, then had a long talk with my crazy side and threw out the other one, too. It was a somber moment.

Then I thought, “Jar Cozy”.

My kettle died. That's another post.

See, all those wise people who re-use jars even drink out of them! (Lloyd even has jars with handles that he keeps in the freezer for beer, so he can’t really mock me for this.) They can even be used for hot beverages, and the jar I was thinking of using holds a whole pint of ‘fighting-the-Sunday-nap’ coffee.

So, I retrieved the socks from the trash can, lopped off the tops and made a couple of jar cozies. I only need one, but the process of stitching the cut edge so it won’t unravel went pretty badly on the first sock, so I’m trying again on the other. Any suggestions?

The stitching. I am not good at it.

The sock even covers the bottom of the jar, making a built-in coaster!

That is one wrinkly hand.

Tune in tomorrow to hear how I prototyped the jar even more! (Or not – it won’t be that exciting._

12 Responses to “Jars and Socks – part one”

I would have guessed you would experiment with darning. Then while you were doing it, you could say: “Darn these socks!” Ha!

2. Gretchen Said on:

Why are you fighting the Sunday nap? Naps are great!

3. Lauren Said on:

I’ve actually thought about darning, but that’s as far as it got. I’ve tried my Frankenstein stitching on the socks before, but I’m not doing it right. 🙁

Gretchen -- You are completely right! However, this Sunday I had an appointment with a web. 😉

4. Lloyd Said on:

Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks and Jars and Socks.

• Peggy Said on:

That is an awesome song!

I love the jar sock! it looks really cute. But I have no sewing advice. Needles & threads don’t get along very well with me. Don’t they sell some kind of fabric glue that you could lightly glaze the edge with.

I need to know what it is about smart wool socks that make them so fantastic. Please advise.

6. bekahcubed Said on:

Do you have a sewing machine? If so, I recommend a narrow width zigzag across the top of the sock. If not, I recommend finding a friend who does have a sewing machine. Hand sewing knits is so fiddly.

7. Marisa Said on:

Now you just need a Cuppow and you’ll be all set!