..... not as good as the trailer.

….. not as good as the trailer.

February 23, 2012

Videos

Before we begin, may I ask for some help? My dad is having an angiogram today, so prayers would be appreciated.

And now, our feature presentation – a really boring, unfunny, educational video about Amtrak’s Superliner sleeper car. It’s not that the train is boring, it’s just that this movie is far, far less exciting than the trailer.

Enjoy its adequateness.

16 Responses to “….. not as good as the trailer.”

1. Mary Ellen Said on:

Please take me next time! Although I do like to sing The Gambler.

It looks less claustrophobia-inducing in this movie than it did in the pictures.

And now I have “Coward of the County” stuck in my head.

3. Deborah Said on:

How many hours were you on the train. From where did you leave and where did you arrive?

16 hours. We left Lincoln at 12:30 at night and got in 3:30 (mountain time) the next afternoon in Grand Junction. The train goes all the way to Salt Lake, if you’re thinking about it for your next visit!

4. Kris Said on:

Love it! I’ve already been on the amtrak website looking into fares!

Be aware that the website quotes prices for each way, it’s not a combined rate on that first one. (I did my math wrong before. Stupid math.)

So how many “rooms” are there in a sleeper car? I never realized that there was an upper and lower level. Where do you go to eat? Is that part of your car?

I think the car we traveled back on had 8 rooms like ours, 4 of the larger rooms and 1 family suite.

Our train was: an engine, some sort of tender car, 2 coach cars (like airline first class), a lounge car (snackbar and wall to wall windows) a dining car then two sleeper cars.

For breakfast and lunch you would go to the dining car and they would seat people until the tables were full (you sit with other people in groups of 4), then tell people a number and you would go back when they called your number. For supper they would come around and ask when you wanted to eat (there were 4 or 5 time slots from 5:30 -- 7:30).

I loved the video! But oops….you wouldn’t want to travel with me….or hang out with me…..I ask A LOT of questions.

When I took the train, I was surprised at how unsmooth the ride was. Alot of side to side justling. Were you able to sleep during that?

Did you tie yourself into bed with the harness? Wasn’t that uncomfortable?

The harness was like a big ‘H’ made of seatbelt webbing, and it hooked from the edge of the bunk to the ceiling, making a barrier. I didn’t really roll around, but Peggy is right -- it’s a very quiet ride, but there is a fair amount of movement.

8. Christina Said on:

There are apparently no sleeper cars that leave out of St. Louis….booo!

9. Lauren's dad Said on:

You can get an idea of the layouts of the Superliner sleeper cars here: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267298665

10. John Brady Said on:

How fast did the train go? Were there trout in the stream in the video?

11. Lauren Said on:

Excellent to hear from you, Dad! 😀

John, there were times when we went pretty dang slow on the hills -- I’d say 20-30 miles an hour, but in Colorado it was announced that we would have a stretch of 20 minutes where we’d hit 70 mph. I have to think that we were going fairly fast in Nebraska, too, but it was dark and I was snoozin’. As for the trout, I’m going to guess ‘yes’ and ‘very cold’.