20140303-212107.jpg

What is this thing?

March 3, 2014

Uncategorized

One of the boys brought this in this morning. We’ve been talking about fasteners – zippers, buttons, nails, glue, etc. – and while this barely makes the cut, it does have an interesting way of fastening together. I can’t figure out it’s purpose, though, and it vexes me.

Kwikset is a lock company. This thing is just plastic, about the size of a stick of gum. The metal part is flat and narrow, but not sharp. The closest I can guess is that it is to depress a recessed catch, but on what? To where?

Oh, the boy in question thought it was for scratching a tabletop. *sigh* I’m pretty sure that’s not it.

20140303-212029.jpg

20140303-212022.jpg

12 Responses to “What is this thing?”

I think I know what it is, but I won’t say it and spoil the fun.

2. Lloyd Said on:

Yes, I think I know what it is too, but I won’t say it either.

3. Lauren's dad Said on:

It’s a devise that made the designer or his/her boss lots of money, and to raise Lauren’s curiosity. like Lauren: I don’t know what it is or what it’s for. So……?

I’m thinking that this thing is broken. I feel there has to be more to it than what looks like a 1/4 of a toothpick. So my guess is a broken something or other.

5. CousinRachel Said on:

I don’t know its real purpose, but with a name like Kwikset, I would use it to reset things that tell you to use a ballpoint pen -- mp3 players, some clocks, older tablet computers, etc. Does this type of reset even exist anymore?

6. Lauren's mom Said on:

I’m from the old country. I don’t recognize much of anything anymore.

7. Curt Said on:

Sure I know what it is. It’s that thingamabob you use on one of those thingamajigs.

8. Gramp Royuk Said on:

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH CURT!!!!!!

Some key lock assemblies can be reset: you can put an existing key into the lock and set it to unlock using that key. Very handy in the case you want to change a lock, but not have to carry an extra key around.

In order to re-key the lock, you poke a small tool into a hole on the lock assembly. That tool is what you have a picture of.

Here’s a picture of a lock with the small hole next to it: