01-front-horizontal

Workers Quarterly * Hymns for Now

July 22, 2015

Found

I vaguely remember that Lauren told me where she found this. My memory of her story is that it was behind something that they moved at church. Unfortunately, she can’t remember anything at all about where she found it. She remembers even less about her story than I do. I recall that it was a sort of cute story, but at this time, all we can say for certain is that she stole it from St. John.

01-front02

5455

5657

5859

6061

6263

About Lloyd

Lloyd Sommerer is a middle/high school teacher who likes to build websites, read books, grow beards, make fun of Lauren’s prototypes and eat the sauce of the picante.

20 Responses to “Workers Quarterly * Hymns for Now”

1. Deborah Said on:

Are those words really upside down in the book? I don’t get it.

2. Lauren Said on:

“Stole”/”Silently given” -- same thing, right?

I honestly don’t know. It says “St. JohnS youth”, not “St. John youth”, so it’s probably not even from our church. Is that lightning getting closer?

I’m pretty sure we had a copy of that at our house when I was growing up. But not from st johns.

Those extra words on the pages are interesting. I can’t decide if they are really ground-breaking and thought-provoking, or if they are evidence of someone trying too hard. I would say that which one of those it was has everything to do with when this came out. Christian churches are usually behind the times when it comes to stuff like this. I’m wondering if it would have been really cool in 1960, but not in 1967.

I think the graphical text holds up much better than the pictures. Not just the quality (the book isn’t really any better than the scans), but the content of the pictures as well.

I did a search for the title just a bit ago and you can buy copies of it on eBay and Amazon.

5. Lauren's mom Said on:

I know almost all of those songs. I taught them in Weekday School and probably to the youth group in the 70s. I especially liked the Nicene Creed. That was the way the kids learned to memorized the Nicene Creed. I had had a couple of them (adults that are still here) tell me that when we speak the Nicene Creed in church, they are still singing it in their head. Me, too.

6. Dad Royuk Said on:

I might still have a copy of that neat little songbook in my music file? We used it with youth groups all the time. Great songs that bring back memories!

7. Lloyd Said on:

Someone want to rewrite the 4th verse of Thank You? It’s really bothering me.

8. Jane Said on:

I like the one about “don’t disturb the dinosaurs”. i wonder if everyone who was in high school then is a dinosaur now? Those songs are classic.

9. John Said on:

Ha!
    Karla -- you recognize those books because we sang from them in grade school!
    Lloyd & Lauren -- I had one of those songs pop into my head today so I went online, trying to search for a copy of that ancient book, and Google provided me with a link to THIS page. “Hey! I know Lauren & Lloyd!” Small world!

Hee hee! Hi, John!

• John Said on:

Hi, Lauren! 🙂
        We’ll be in Seward again this weekend for Gathering of Talents. I’d love to see you two, although we probably won’t have much free time since we need to head back home pretty soon after it’s over on Saturday.

• Karla Said on:

Really? We sang from that in grade school? Huh.

I still think we had a copy at home. I think when this was first posted I didn’t pay any attention to all the songs. Tonight I scrolled through all the pages and sang some songs in my head, and I remembered doing the same thing in our living room. I’m surprised at how many songs I recognized.

Rats. We are going to Lloyd’s brother’s wedding, so we’ll miss you. Have fun at the gathering!

Hi, Karla!

Hey John. Which song was it?

• John Said on:

“They’ll Know We are Christians by Our Love” is the one which popped into my head, for no particular reason. I remember several other songs, though.