What is this thing?

March 3, 2014


One of the boys brought this in this morning. We’ve been talking about fasteners – zippers, buttons, nails, glue, etc. – and while this barely makes the cut, it does have an interesting way of fastening together. I can’t figure out it’s purpose, though, and it vexes me.

Kwikset is a lock company. This thing is just plastic, about the size of a stick of gum. The metal part is flat and narrow, but not sharp. The closest I can guess is that it is to depress a recessed catch, but on what? To where?

Oh, the boy in question thought it was for scratching a tabletop. *sigh* I’m pretty sure that’s not it.



About Lauren

Lauren Sommerer is a preschool teacher who likes to build prototypes, grow cats, cook things once, save money, reduce, reuse and recycle.

View all posts by Lauren

12 Responses to “What is this thing?”

  1. Brad Said on:

    I think I know what it is, but I won’t say it and spoil the fun.


  2. Lloyd Said on:

    Yes, I think I know what it is too, but I won’t say it either.


  3. Lauren's dad Said on:

    It’s a devise that made the designer or his/her boss lots of money, and to raise Lauren’s curiosity. like Lauren: I don’t know what it is or what it’s for. So……?


  4. Peggy Said on:

    I’m thinking that this thing is broken. I feel there has to be more to it than what looks like a 1/4 of a toothpick. So my guess is a broken something or other.


  5. CousinRachel Said on:

    I don’t know its real purpose, but with a name like Kwikset, I would use it to reset things that tell you to use a ballpoint pen -- mp3 players, some clocks, older tablet computers, etc. Does this type of reset even exist anymore?


  6. Lauren's mom Said on:

    I’m from the old country. I don’t recognize much of anything anymore.


  7. Curt Said on:

    Sure I know what it is. It’s that thingamabob you use on one of those thingamajigs.


  8. Gramp Royuk Said on:



  9. Brad Said on:

    Some key lock assemblies can be reset: you can put an existing key into the lock and set it to unlock using that key. Very handy in the case you want to change a lock, but not have to carry an extra key around.

    In order to re-key the lock, you poke a small tool into a hole on the lock assembly. That tool is what you have a picture of.

    Here’s a picture of a lock with the small hole next to it:


Leave a Reply