I like fall.

September 30, 2008

Uncategorized

Fall is the best.   It’s starting to get a little cold, the leaves are starting to turn, and cheap heating is just around the corner.  My walk home is very pleasant.  Here’s what’s sittin’ outside the ol’ Hinky Dinky SunMart.

carve me!

That’s a pretty site.  I haven’t carved a pumpkin on my own (without the aid of preschoolers) in a long time.  Are you a pumpkin carver?

18 Responses to “I like fall.”

1. Kitt Said on:

Heck ya! Usually right on Halloween, using whatever misshapen pumpkin is left at the grocery the night before. It doesn’t take me all that long. Here’s last year’s.

I had a pumkin carving party with some neighborhood people three years ago. Some of them had never carved a pumpkin. I was shocked. But now when I drive past their houses in October, I always see pumpkins. 🙂

3. Curt Said on:

Fall is my favorite season as well. It is cooling down, trees change, and best of all, football is finally here. Oh yeah, my birthday is in the fall too.

I think the last pumpkin I carved was several years ago at Beth and Harold’s one evening. One eye was different from the other, the smile was crooked. I never could draw a symmetrical face.

4. QoE Said on:

My family gets together in late October and carves a lot of pumpkins with every creative idea they can muster. I have four grown sons, so there are power tools involved and the nieces and grandkids like to add feathers or beads or paint or …
    Then we take them to the local retirement home and share. It is so much fun!
    Cathy in MN (but originally from NE)

You betcha! And you gotta dig your hands into the pumpkin to get out those sticky, icky seeds. Ahh, fall.

6. Rae Said on:

We carve them every year. I have started making luminaries by cutting out leaves and stars and moons all the way around them. We still do faces or characters for/with the kids. I have very fond memories of doing this as a child. And yes, digging out the seeds by hand is part of it -- I just use latex gloves now. Does anyone else roast the seeds??? If so, what’s your ‘recipe’?

7. Kitt Said on:

I roast mine with a little salt and Worcestershire sauce.

One hint: If you want to light your pumpkin(s) but fear leaving candles unattended, just shove a string of white Christmas lights inside. (I’m usually working on Halloween, so I leave my jack-o-lantern lit on the porch with a box of candy.

8. Jill Said on:

Oh heck ya! AND I dress up for Halloween. Last year I was Professor McGonagall from Harry Potter, to my daughters Hermione. We love fall, and pumpkins, and pumpkin seeds, and candy, and chocolate, and candy, and pumpkins, and candy.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE fall!!!! It’s the best & my favorite too!! I love the weather, the leaves, the pumpkins, the scarcrows, the ghouls!!! And YAY for cheap heating (I say just leave it off altogether)!!!

(I just roast my seeds on a pan with butter, S & P!!! Plain & simple but sooooo good!!)