Emaree

December 3, 2008

Cooking

Thanks, Peggy!!

I remembered to bring my camera home tonight – hooray for me.  That’s the only thing that went right today. (Don’t ask.) Anyway, I can show you all the surprise package that arrived yesterday – the MRE meal from Peggy.  Score!  Chili and macaroni, wheat snack bread, cheese spread with jalapenos, and various sweet things – yum!

So many things to eat!

We opened it up, but are pacing ourselves.  We’re going to actually cook it tomorrow.  Lloyd was super-excited to see that Cinnamon Imperials are in there (Red Hots to you and me), and I’m extremely interested in the creamsicle cookies.   I have to say – it is a wonder of gadgety-ness.   I especially like how the people who wrote the directions seem to have a sense of humor.

That’s my kind of direction writing.

“or something”  Ha!  To any spouses of soldiers who may be out there – please tell your family ‘thanks’ for me!  Thanks again, Peggy! Tune in tomorrow for the tasting results….

15 Responses to “Emaree”

Follow the instructions carefully. We didn’t do it quite right, so the food didn’t get warm. I think our mistake was not using a rock or something. And watch out for the heating element. It gets rocket hot.

Good luck! May the force be with you, so that you have un-burned hands and warm food! Oh, and you should have put cook in quotations. We’re going to “cook” it tomorrow. (Did I ever send you the misplaced quotations blog. I get a laugh there every time I visit…)

3. Lloyd Said on:

I’m stealing the Cinnamon Imperials. Don’t tell Lauren.

4. Lauren Said on:

Hey! The Red Hots are gone!

“That’s Emaree…”

These things are like giant grab bags! Each one has all different stuff in it. The one I opened had a really tasty piece of cake in it, and it wasn’t even smashed. Hey, I bet they’d make a great stocking in and of itself… I think I’ll just nail a bunch of these to my fireplace this Christmas and call it a day.

Oh and I think where we (I) goofed was by adding too much water. Do only as much as they say. (I often tend to add a little extra to everything, “just in case”. Don’t do that. That’s an official order.)

• Jill Said on:

How’s your son doing, Peggy? Does he like MREs yet?

• Peggy Said on:

He’s at West Point, so he only eats those when they’re out on training. He likes them well enough…he never heats them though…he says they never have time. Overall, he’s doing well!

• Jill Said on:

Most Marines I know don’t heat them either. That just doesn’t sound good to me. They’re also really big into mixing as much together as possible. I’ve heard of some really strange concoctions…anything to eat more, faster, I guess.

Dear Overlords,
    I have a comment stuck in moderation.
    Brad

8. Gretchen Said on:

As a military spouse and Katrina survivor, I find it amusing that you would be EXCITED to eat an MRE. Well, bon appetit!

9. Gretchen Said on:

PS these things have about a million calories, so they are not for those who are dieting.