No photo, no drawing, just fear.

December 13, 2009

Worst day ever

Lloyd and I went to our third Christmas party in a row tonight. (You can imagine how much Hermit Girl looks forward to those.) While we had a very nice time, the ride home was AWFUL! We had a foggy day that turned into a slight freezing drizzle, so there was a nice icy glaze on the road.

We couldn’t make our turn onto the highway, but Super Lloyd just corrected and breezed past while I chewed on my coat. We saw five cars in the ditch once we actually got on the road further down, and just crawled all the way home at 35/40 miles an hour.

I ate my gloves.

Hate, hate, hate winter driving. Hate it.

10 Responses to “No photo, no drawing, just fear.”

I have to admit: in respect to snow driving I have become like a Baltimorean. You Nebraskans drive completely differently in the snow and ice. I have heart palpitations every time I ride with one of you in the winter.

2. Lauren's dad Said on:

I’m glad Lloyd got you home safe!

Ice is the worst…I don’t think it’s possible to drive on it! Way to go Lloyd!

And now you know what to get Lauren for Christmas. (I don’t think you pass gloves like you do corn)

4. Gretchen Said on:

I’m with you on the holiday parties, Lauren. We had 3 this weekend. I’ve got one today, one Thursday, two Friday and two Saturday. Enough already. (I guess I should add a BAH HUMBUG.)

We drove in the freezing rain last night, too. Our defroster could not keep up with the ice that kept creeping from the top of the windshield, lower and lower. The defroster was set on high, fully blasting out heat, heat, and heat. We were roasting! Finally, when Jerome was hunched so low that his nose was practically touching the steering wheel, he pulled over to 1) buy a scraper and 2) scrape the windshield. He did the scraping three times in a 30 mile stretch. Blech. We did arrive home safe and sound. End of story.

Your story reminded me of an article that I saw today (on Fark, of course). http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,580139,00.html

Naturally, the thread about the article became a spirited discussion about who were the better drivers. http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=4851688

Yes, it was a boring day at work. Thanks for asking. 🙂