Low battery

January 21, 2014

Journal

My case wasn’t quit shut so I am only at 13% battery on this thing. Hmmm, that’s a good metaphor for life.

I had a glass of wine with dinner, and while my stomach and throat will pay for it later, I do feel wonderfully sleepy now. Befoe I go to bed, let me tell you a little story from today: it was after nap, and the children were all up and playing. Suddenly from housekeeping there came a crying and sobbing as if someone had just been stabbed in the stomach. It was a little three year-old- girl, clutching a small pink plastic pitcher. I asked her if she was ok, and she sobbed some unintelligible words. I asked her again to tell me again what was wrong, and she held up her little pitcher and gasped out, “Ella….dwank…. all my coffee.”

Doy.

Since I have taught preschool a bazillion years, I did not point out that her pitcher was full of air and that this did not necessitate her Oscar-worthy sobs. Instead I hid a smile, asked her if she liked that (no), then asked what she wanted to say to Ella (please don’t do that), then I refilled her air coffee.

10 Responses to “Low battery”

1. Gretchen Said on:

I’ll take an air-latte please.

I would have had no idea how to respond to that. Well done. I raise. My cup of air coffee to you.

3. Deborah Said on:

🙂

Air ice cream, please.

5. Kris Said on:

What is the proper preschool-teacher response when the child screams bloody murder every time he drops his Thomas engine, as if it has fallen into the great abyss instead of just onto the floor?

Start with a big glass of air-wine.

If you are looking for a serious answer, it would totally depend on his age and temperment. If it were one of my guys, he would get a few kind, “It’s ok, just pick it up” reminders. If it kept up it would be, “If this makes you cry, maybe we should choose something else.” If that didn’t work, it would be finding something else to play and then dealing with the boy stomping off and telling me, “MY EARS ARE OFF. I’M NOT LISTENING TO YOU.” Then we go to the office, or at least try to as he goes limp in the hallway. Wait, is this getting too specific?

Ella, Ella, Ella…..we need to learn to share.

Have you ever checked to see if Ella has thumbs? She may very well be a Twiloite.