MIKEA

January 27, 2007

Journal, Lauren

Since I can’t go to IKEA myself, I often browse their website.  Last week, while looking for a possible sink for my classroom, I came across a mispriced item.  I wrote to the Contact Us guys, and here is our correspondence; me and Mike (or as I like to call him, Mikea).

Did you know that your Varde freestanding kitchen and double sink
is listed at eleven dollars on the website?  I’ll order a dozen if
that’s true!

Just thought you’d like to know so it can be changed.

Lauren Sommerer

And the reply from Mike:

Hello Lauren,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

The price shown on the website is in fact incorrect, as the price of
this combination is $289.00. Your information will be forwarded to
the appropriate department so the error on the website can be fixed.

We thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, and thank you
for selecting IKEA.

Best Regards,
Mike
IKEA Customer Care Center

I responded with:

You’re welcome, Mike!   As a token of your gratitude, would you consider opening a store here in Seward, Nebraska?  We’re a booming metropolis of about 6,000 people who could really use your furniture!    (Our nearest IKEA is in Chicago!)

Lauren

Suspiciously, there has been no reply from Mikea since.  Oh, well, I have my imaginary trips to look forward to!!  (Thanks, Brad!)

Such a fine selection of Nordic-inspired furniture!

So many resonably priced, yet fashionable items to choose from!!

10 Responses to “MIKEA”

Haha! I love it! You did an especially good job of making yourself look like a cardboard cutout. The bottom picture looks like you’re some kind of display in the store. They should totally pay you to use your image in all their stores. Let’s tell Mikea!

2. Lauren Said on:

Yes! Then I can be a permanent part of them! My dreams will come true.

By the way, when I die -- I want to be cremated and have my ashes spread at IKEA.

3. Mikea Said on:

Unfortunately, Seward has not been identified as a major market. However, I can send you an urn! (Tee hee!)

4. Lauren Said on:

Mikea, why won’t you return my calls?? Don’t you love me anymore???

Lauren- I guess you haven’t watched any news this weekend. Ikea has filed bankruptcy, Chapter 21 … all stores will be closed by the end of March. 🙁 Better get a ticket to one of the cities with one, pronto!
    Note to Beth: Tara & Mikea (just a thought if you have another girl)

• Beth Said on:

Mikea…at least they both end in an a.
      Were crazy sorts that like to have complimentary names for our kids. Just like Brent, Brad and Beth (did you know that my name is NOT Elizabeth, it’s Beth, because that’s what my parents were going to call me, so they decided to simply name me that so all three of us were B names. So, in my defense, I come by the preference for complimentary names honestly.)

And, by the way, good thing we’ll be in Baltimore before the IKEAs close. I LOOOOOOOOVE clearance shopping :D!

• Peggy Said on:

I’m surprised you weren’t named Bridget or Brittney or Bree …
        Wow,I didn’t know you were coming to Balto. Be sure Brad takes you out for a crab pretzel!!

• Beth Said on:

Ah, yes, the crab pretzel. Can you order those without crab? I don’t care for crab so much, but pretzels with cheese, I’m all over that!
          (And, we’ll be there March 14-18 -- YAY!)

6. Lauren Said on:

WHAT?!?!?!?! You can’t be serious!! You’d better provide me with some sort of news link, Peggy, to prove this story. (If you’re just messing with me, I’ll have to have Brad do something appropriately sinister.)

I guess it’s possible I got the name mixed up … it was either Ikea or Nikita’s going out of business. It was hard to focus in my state of consciousness yesteday, what with “drinking my homemade cold remedy of tea, honey, lemon & whiskey.” (I’m pretty sure I’m having withdrawals today.)