Recipes

September 10, 2007

Cooking, Journal, Lauren

Happy Birthday, Dad!!!!!!!!!!!

We had Grandparents’ Tea tonight at the center and it was a success. Usually we have it during the morning and it’s quite hectic – the children who don’t have grandparents come are a little confused and sad, there are way too many people in that little room, and when the grandparents go – the children are sad, and we still have the whole day to deal with. This was much, much better to have it in the evening.

I’m too tired to post a picture. We made cookies for the event, and I was quite pleased with how the oatmeal ones turned out. Using Craisins is key!! Here’s the recipe:

• 1 cup crisco
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 t. vanilla – mix all that
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1 T. cinnamon
  • 1 t. salt – mix all that, add to wet stuff
  • 3 cups quick-cooking oats – add that to the above
  • a big handful of delicious Craisins

Scoop onto cookie sheet, bake 10 – 11 minutes at 350. Healthy and yummy!

Ok, Karla, cough up that banana bread recipe. Everybody else, tell us how to cook something, too!

21 Responses to “Recipes”

Ha! I just emailed it to Deanne. I’ll use my finely-honed copy and paste skills…

Banana Nut Bread

1/3 c shortening
    1/2 c sugar
    2 eggs
    1 3/4 c sifted flour
    1 t baking powder
    1/2 t soda
    1/2 t salt
    1 c mashed ripe bananas
    1/2 c chopped walnuts

Cream together shortening and sugar; add eggs and beat well. Sift together dry ingredients, add to creamed mixture alternately with banana, blending well after each addition. Stir in nuts. Pour into well greased 9 1/2 x 5 x 3 loaf pan. Bake 40 to 45 min at 350*.

Can also use 2 7/12 x 3 3/4 pans at 325* for 30 minutes.

I usually use 2 or 3 bananas and don’t bother measuring. I never sift my flour. Mom made us do it when we were at home -- I stopped doing it as a mini-revolt once I was on my own. I think this recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. My mom’s used it for years.

Any other requests? Zuchhini bread? Chocolate Zucchini cake? Chicken Curry? Carmel Brownies? Mac and Cheese? Scalloped Corn? Berry Delight?

And thank you for the recipe! I’ve been looking for a good oatmeal cookie recipe.

Good thought about the Craisins in the cookies! I can’t wait to try it! Did you know they’re tasty in salads too? Is there anything those little gems can’t do? I guess they can’t finish your taxes…

Lauren, I like your style. I always, always call things “good for you” whenever it has something that’s good for you in it. Take whole wheat flour, for example. If it has close to half whole wheat flour, it’s good for you. Even if it’s loaded up with butter and sugar, which never counts in the good-for-you scale.

Go, good for you foods!!! Don’t have time for a recipe this sec, but you know I’m good for it.

4 cups cereal of your choice
    3 cups milk
    1/2 cup sugar (optional)

Combine first two ingredients in a bowl. If cereal is low in sugar (Rice Krispies, Cheerios, corn flakes, etc.), sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar on top. Eat.

I can copy & paste too! I just sent a recipe to a friend that wanted me to do a recipe forwarding thing. I didn’t do the forwarding thing, but I did send her a recipe, for Boursin Chicken. (You can get the Boursin at Sam’s--we love the stuff!)

Boursin Chicken.
    * Chicken breasts or thighs, boneless and skinless
    * Boursin cheese
    * Italian flavored bread crumbs. (or regular, whatever)

Mash up the Boursin cheese with just enough bread crumbs so it’s a little difficult to mash. It’ll feel a little like play dough.

Flatten the chicken with a pounder-thing. Squash up the cheese/crumbs mixture and spread (or place) on the flattened chicken. Roll the chicken and secure with toothpicks.

Bake in a pyrex for about 45 minutes or until juices run clear.

Sorry for all of the technical kitchen terminology, like “thingie” and “stuff.”

Ha! This remeinds me of when our friends the Gebhardts used to stay with us during the summer while they went to school. For a while we were making ‘pounded chicken-anything’. The ‘thingie’ we used was the mallet from the toolbox. I’ll have to make this!

Recipes For Eating Out:

Oatmeal Cookies: Remove Craisins
    Salad: Remove everything except lettuce, radishes, carrots,& peppers;
    Lasagna: carefully remove top noodles; scrape off ricotta cheese; repeat; repeat; blame any mess on tablecloth on children

Salad: Remove everything except lettuce, radishes, carrots, peppers

Here’s a whole meal’s worth of recipes…

Ranch Chicken
    4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    ½ cup butter (1 stick)
    1 cup breadcrumbs
    1 package dry ranch dressing mix

Rinse and trim chicken breasts. Melt butter in shallow
    dish, mix bread crumbs and ranch in second dish.
    Dip chicken in butter and then coat with breadcrumb
    mixture.
    Drizzle remaining butter over chicken in baking dish.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Vidalia Onion Casserole
    4 large vidalia (sweet) onions
    1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
    1 box Ritz crackers
    Parmesan cheese (the kind in a green can)

Cut up the onions and sauté with the butter over medium
    heat. Crush three sleeves of Ritz crackers.
    In a baking dish, layer the onions (about 1/3), crackers, sprinkle with cheese, onions, crackers, cheese, onions, crackers, cheese.
    Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes. Time and temp can be adjusted for baking with other items. Simply bake until heated through.

Easy Cherry Cobbler
    2 cans cherry pie filling
    1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
    1 box white cake mix

Melt butter in large mixing bowl. Add cake mix and stir until mixture is crumbly. Spread pie filling over bottom of 9x13
    baking dish and crumble “cobbler” mixture over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
    Great served warm with ice cream!

Cheesy Potatoes
    1 lb bag hash brown style diced frozen potatoes
    16 oz. sour cream
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    2 cups milk
    2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar or colby/cheddar)
    salt and pepper to taste

In large mixing bowl, combine milk, sour cream, mushroom soup, 1 cup shredded cheese and salt and pepper (more pepper adds a little kick!). Empty potatoes into 9x13 baking dish, pour cheese mixture over the top and mix through. Top with remaining shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes (baking times may be adjusted to bake other items simultaneously).

Done. When’s dinner?

8. Lauren's dad Said on:

In view of all the recipes being shared, and your hoping we went out to dinner for my birthday, Lauren: Yes, we did go out to dinner before Valley Symphony Chorus rehearsal at (imagine drum-roll suspense!) to SONIC! A Sonic burger and limeade. Delicious!

9. Rae, formerly known as Rachel Said on:

Ok, I feel like a dope. I thought I was posting a comment to this string, but ended up placing it in the busy Sunday conversation. 🙁 I had two questions for Lauren concerning food and gadgets. 1) did you get my email about the car cookies w/pictures? We call them dashboard delights. and 2) have you seen the new toaster and egg cooker in one? I thought of you immediately when I saw it. Check it out on Amazon. So, disregard my post in the other section. (Too much cafeine this morning.)

I don’t think I got the pictures, and HECK YEAH I’ve seen the toaster and egg maker! It’s everything I can do not to buy it. (I just need to USE it once. Just once. I don’t need it. Don’t need it. Touch the precious. My precious….)