Mindless & pretty

December 4, 2007

Journal, Lauren

I was looking around the internet and came across this ridiculously easy decoration to make out of paper. I made a few out of plain white paper with the children in the afternoon. (They did the short cuts, I assembled, they stapled. I don’t worry at all about whether the strips are cut straight.) They loved them!

When I came home we ate some awful buffalo chicken wings for dinner and then I wanted to do something mindless for a half hour. This was it! Good thing we have all kinds of crazy paper around here. I think Lloyd should have his middle school students make them.
A festive computer area!

close up!

Now I have nothing but guilt that Annette was working on her class all night. Way to go, Annette!

18 Responses to “Mindless & pretty”

1. Deborah Said on:

Very nice, Lauren. I like the decorations and I like the arrangement. That’s all I got.

Now I know how we’ll decorate for Christmas! Fully decorated trees are overrated, and I don’t have anything that’s coated in gold, alas.

They remind me of that time I was abducted by aliens.

4. Annette Said on:

I someone getting married? It’s the hanging things from the ceiling theme…

• Annette Said on:

whoops…Is someone getting married. My brain works faster than I can speak, or type! (I dare anyone to comment!)

Ridiculously easy? How am I supposed to make these fantastic decorations? I have no X-acto knife, no metal ruler … only a wood one, dang it …. no cutting mat & no monfilaments. Plus there’s no directions on how to put the string in!!!!!

But they are beeauuuutiful!!!

And the winner for “Best Use of ‘Monofilament’ in a Blog comment” goes to….

No Xacto knife! No metal ruler! These were made with paper, scissors, a stapler and tied up with thread. (They’re stuck to the ceiling with pushpins.) They don’t need to be perfect -- mine are all wavy. Perfection is for the birds!

6. Michele Said on:

I am TOTALLY making these for my classroom. I already have lights up and I plan to bring in a small tree with lights tomorrow. Thanks Lauren! I’m so glad you teach little kids!

These ARE lovely decorations. Maybe you should put some around that burned-out lightbulb over the sink.

Alright, I tried making them with my five-year-old. Soooooo E-Z and fun! Is this the official decoration for Festivus?